All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
I first got started about two years ago. I was up at Grapevine Mills trying to locate my brother, who had gotten himself lost. (And he's older than me by two years :lol: ) And, while looking for him, I happened to see the Games Workshop sign. Thinking it was a video game store, I walked up...and saw the miniatures on display in the window. I was disappointed it wasn't a video game store, but went in anyway as soon as I saw the painted miniatures. (I was hooked on LOTR even back then.)

Right off, a short, round GW employee walked up, smiled and asked me if he could help me with anything. I had a terrible stutter back then when talking to strangers, so his first impression of me was probably as a teenager who spoke fluent Caveman (Ugh, uh, nah, etc.) So he kind of gave me another smile and walked off.

My missing brother totally forgotten, I strolled up to the LOTR section, saw the Aragorn the King mini and grabbed it off the shelf. Now I had just sold some legos on Ebay, and had fifty-five dollars burning a hole in my pocket. But I ended up buying the Warriors of Minas Tirith and a few paints instead. Then the same employee walked up and asked if I'd like a free beginner's paint lesson. This time I managed to reply more or less understandibly, and we walked over to the bench and started.

My first warrior of minas tirith turned out looking like Prince Charming meets Clayface. But I was sure proud of it then, so I bought three more paints and then got invited to play a game of SBG with several other gamers. They spent ten minutes waiting on me as I assembled all of the other WOMT and then we started. We each had one plastic boxed set (Not exactly fair, I know.) I was actually the second-to-last one to be defeated. (By the Fighting Uruk-Hai.)

Just then my brother happened in, and wrecked my fun. He got invited to play, but his response was less than enthusiastic. And then we had to leave.

I pretty much stopped playing SBG after about two months, but have been painting ever since, and plan to keep doing it until GW dies.

My brother, sadly, is not inerested, and every time I ask, he says "only geeks would want to paint minimen".

Before you fall asleep, I'll go ahead and close.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It was when I saw thew first of the Deagostini figures on sale. They were the Goblins and the rest is history. Ironically I hate those models.
I have kept them, exactly as I first painted them and they are an inspiration when I see how my painting has developed. Not to the high and mighty standards some set, but nevertheless I am pleased.
I started collecting each release from there and it wasn't long before i found myself in GW for the first time with all these spotty kids...I was hooked !!!

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

gaarew wrote:
You might want to get a comfy seat and a fresh beverage before reading this -

I started reading this, and then woke up about an hour later with QWERTY on my forehead. :rofl:

MY gaming career started with D&D in 1982. That's old. Still have all my stuff, too.

I started in the miniatures hobby in 1995, with 40k 2nd edition, and haven't looked back.

LOTR I started in 2001? when Fellowship came out. Got it on release day.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

northfarthing wrote:
I started reading this, and then woke up about an hour later with QWERTY on my forehead. :rofl:

Surely you mean YTREWQ...

:P

Of course, we all know you are joking. It is common knowledge that old people need less sleep as they age.

1982 indeed. I was still in nappies. You're probably getting close to that stage again.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok my story,

firstly I was a major LOTR and Simarillion fan from elementary

but I ran out of hobbies and then once of a sudden I found The Hobby for me, I walked in their on a good sunday morning and started playing of immediatly, you all know which hobby:

chess

now after this I met a lot of people there and around january it turned out there came a new one playing, who like me liked LOTR, this was in 2002, the following year we talked lots about LOTR and SW (me preferring the former, he the latter) and it turne out that one day he started to talk about a mysterious game, about LOTR, well he told me about this game for like a whole year and I was particullarly intressed, so then he took me to a shop, now long since gone called 'The Red Dragon' (Bart may know this one), and their (after numerous discussions with my parents who thought it as moneywasting) I started off with an army thats very intresting story wise, has pleny of might (at least one for each 5 models) but unfortunatly, it had 100% bows :( (I actually wanted to play Arnor but that was to expensive unfortunatly, and to stay in theme I chose what I did)
So when I wanted to add other models to my collection I first wanted the mokey twins, but they weren't there and suddenly my eyes were caught by the White Council, and from then on, I was completely lost into this hobby, and strolling the web came across a few sites of which I chose OR as my 'wargaming home-base'

hope you aren't sleeping now

cheers
Philippe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Chester, Cheshire, or Durham, Co. Durham, both England.
Interesting how some posts come round every year or so, but are still interesting each time...

Interested in LotR after reading the Hobbit - although I didn't actually read the one book to rule them all until I heard the Fellowship film was nigh. Went to see the film, and became an LotR fanatic overnight.

BGiME - I saw it around, but wasn't going to get it, due to expense, until the son of my mother's friend (get it?) recommended it. Got the last copy in my local shop, went back the next morning to get issue 2...and that's it.

I was interested in the model plane type of modelling before, but not gaming. Since that fateful day, LotR has taken 90% of my attention, but in the last year, I've dabbled in 40K SMs, and just in the last month, Imperial Romans.

Will be into LotR SBG (not WotR) for the foreseeable future - probably as long as I can get models on EBay! My interests have obviously diversified, though, so while it will be my major interest in the future, it will probably lose some time to ancient armies...

And, BTW, I've always been a collector rather than a gamer. I don't think I've played for well over a year now! But I have painted about 30 models (this year; about 200 over the past...errrm, seven...years).

SD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Let me see... condensed version.
A short while after seeing the film (can't remember which), we went to a hobby shop and bought some models, We already had 1 or two BGiMEs. My sister and I fought my brother. Lurtz (my brother) had to posion a well (it was a lovely well) that was guarded by 24 WoMT. My sister and I each had half the WoMT. Somehow, my brother convinced my sister not to attack, and Lurtz won, beating the Gondorians, despite being outnumbered 24 to one. :roll:

Then came the GW War of the Ring online campaign, back in the days when GW's LotR forums were split into two, and the good forum and evil forum each had a number of seperate commanding parties. By then we had quite a few (maybe 100 at most :( ) minis betwixt us. The hobby progressed at a slow rate for me.

The end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

well, a friend of my rent RotK on ps2 and we played it and really liked it (:
a week later FoTR was on television and the next day I saw BGIME-magazine in a shop nearby and I bought it, and so my first model was Shagrat^^
and then I start collecting the models (:
and the first thing I tried to build was cirith ungol.. and now I rebuild it like 2 times and still it need something.. more.. xD
sweet, sweet times!^^

greets. (:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hi
i've never posted in the "welcome to OR" area, so this will be some sort of entry.
when i was a kid some of my neighbors had a modeltrainway, which he set up once a year and we could play with it. which was fun and after a while i discovered my grandpa had some mini-train stuff too, so i want to a shop with him to buy some rails and tiny trains, and had a great time. at that age i couldnt really make good scenery but i was always dreaming of it. but i got some glued building stuff( i dont know how to call it).

and well time goes by, and some of my friend introduced my to bgime, we all bought the first issue and played a few battles with each other. i believe it were the brothers of my friend who introduced my friends into the game (cause they like/liked to paint warhammer). i bought the first issues of bgime, and went to the shop to buy the rotk-rulebook(my first mini's (which arent bgime) are dain and a ringrwaith on a horse)
and well, most of them dont play anymore(some paint warhammer).
so i quit for a while, untill for a year ago.

some of my other friends were playing magic(the gathering) and i was searching through my stuff and found my cards back, but i found also my lotr stuff back. so i started again, and thats when i found the OR site. after just watching and reading all the stuff, i decided to sign in, and here i am today:P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

First I time was introduced to Tolkien, I was 6 years old and my dad was reading me the Hobbit. A year later I tried to read LoTR, which was a bit over my head then, but I kept going anyway. By now, 9 years after the Hobbit, I must have read LoTR more times than anyone else I know.

The first time I really got into the hobby was when I first saw the BGiME magazines. But there were obstacles. My mum didn't want me spending my money on something "piontless and wasteful". But I went ahead and brought them anyway, starting at issue 31. I was 9 and a half years old.

Now it's become the biggest thing in my life really. I spend all my free time (and money!!!!) doing something hobby related or otherwise browsing the forums here. To be honest, as I sit here and type, I'm also trying to glue bricks onto my latest project - my third attempt at building Helm's Deep.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When FotR first came out on DVD, my parents watched it and convinced me to watch it as well (to avoid confusion, I am at this point 17yrs). I did, and I loved it immensely. From then on, I was an LotR fanatic. I saw the other two LotR films on Christmas Day, I started collecting the video games, I drew a lot of LotR related art, I read as much Tolkien as I could, etc. Then, my friend Sam, who no longer cares about LotR at all and who also now lives in a different state, saw an ad for LotR SBG in the RotK video game rulebook. Well, he tried it out, and I immediatly became interested. There was a GW at a mall (Concord Mills) some ways away, so when my family went to that mall, I bought a WoMT Starter Paint Set, some glue, and some flock. I loved painting the miniatures. That GW has since closed, along with every other hobby store in Winston-Salem and Lexington, but the hobby lives! And it might not hurt to mention I'm still as much, if not more so, of an LotR fanatic now! 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Was introduced to it when my neighbour found two FoTR kits in the damaged stock at the local GW (really), 2 years later I read the rulebook and started painting and playing.

TGK/FP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was introduced to lotr about three years ago when I saw a few lotr minis on a friend's table. I had been painting models for several years before that but in a different range and scale. I decided those models looked nice and I enjoyed strategy games so I got some. I later realized that two of my friends had introduced me to it a year or so before that, at that point all I saw was a book, and I had decided that it was stupid as it would be hard to move minis around without a proper board (something more like chess). Well I was wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I got interested about 4 years ago my mate had a massive gondor army and i used to just sit and stare at them for hours. He took me down to games workshop and told me to pick my faviorite army, it took me all of 5 seconds to say rohan and another 30 seconds after that i walked out with a pack of 24 warriors of rohan ever since i try get something new every couple months.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My story starts in 2007 when I watched the fellowship of the ring.
I really liked that movie so I got the triology from the library and started reading.(at the time I had never heard of the hobbit or the silmarilion) :oops: :lol:
Back then I was verry ill and had three months of Rehabilitation(translator says thats the word for revalidatie correct me if I'm wrong) so I had a lot of time to read.
After a couple of months I read everything lotr related so, my sister gave me two bgime magazines she had but I was really busy with school so they ended somwhere on a dusty pile.

Now we have arrived somewhere between january and march 2008.
I was once more verry ill but the doctors couldn't find what was wrong with me.
One day I was looking for a book to distract me from the pain and I found the two magazines.
I immidiently loved it and bought my first mini's from the internet.
I painted them quite bad but I was very proud of it.(perhaps that had something to do with the previous paintjob wich included latex). :)

In the following months painting distracted me from the pain and the legal affairs(school didn't believe I was ill).

Now, a year later I've found a doctor that could tell me what was wrong with me, I've done two school years in the time of one and I've got a growing amount of miniatures.

I hope you didn't fall asleep
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

*snoring softly..... grunts* wuh, what?

Quote:
I hope you didn't fall asleep

Just kidding with you. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

my god, where the hell was i and what the hell was i doing that i missed the entire BGIME thing???

i was brought up painting armour, then 1 year i got heroquest =) thought it was great, but soon tired, went back to my trusty and cheap tamiya kits,
then had a massive break due to consoles and pc games, then about 4years ago got back into armour, then last year after the birth of my daughter got a few warriors of minas tirith sets (after i fell in love wid lotr games on pc etc) to keep me busy on long nites without sleep,

didnt last very long as i then got hooked onto warhammer fantasy... 12months and well over £1000 later channel 4 decided to show the trilogy again, and i got hooked again, since then have repainted all of my original badly painted kits, up to quite a good standard now