All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am

Post subject: What would you like to see factored into an SBG fight calc?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I rely heavily on math and probability to check the viability of different units and armies, before I have the models to playtest them. It's also the most objective way I'm able to display that viability to others. I can do most of this with a simple hand calculator, but it becomes time consuming when I'm doing multiple calculations. I've decided to make an Excel calculator (though I'm using Open Office...) to do the work for me. Hopefully when I'm done with it, I will be able to punch in the stats of the combatants, and the calculator will spit out the chances of all possible outcomes, taking everything into account.

As of now, it takes into account:
-how many attacks each side has
-who has the higher fight value
-if banners factor in for either side
-what roll is required to wound
-multiple rolls to wound (such as a WoMT wounding Sauron on a 6/6)
-the chances of wounding up to four times in one fight (I might do more)

There are a whole lot of things I would still like to take into account, however. Miscellaneous special rules is one. Some things I can't figure out how to take into account are:
-multiple attackers with different strength values
-how to set restrictions on what can be entered into a cell
There are more things, but those are the big ones. Any help from spreadsheet junkies would be much appreciated! I have almost no experience: I'm learning as I go.

What I'm wondering is, what would you like to see taken into account? Right now, the spreadsheet asks for the roll required to wound. This takes care of Strength, Defense, and wound modifiers in one fell swoop, but would you rather enter these things yourself, and have the calculator figure that out? I'm not saying it would happen, but is it worth trying to figure out? The calculator also asks only who has the higher fight value, not the actual fight values. Would you rather enter those, and have the calculator figure that out, too? Is it worth trying? What else would you like me to attempt? No promises, but I can give it a go.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My question is why anybody would need all this information? Surely a quick look at the fight to see that you have more attacks or a better fight value gives you a better chance of winning and if not - shield. Where would anybody use this calculator, hopefully not during a game as I would be well pee'd of if my opponant calculated odds before moving every model.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

When building an army. Obviously, people have different ways of doing things, but I like to ensure the effectiveness of an army or unit type before buying models for gaming purposes. A calculator like this will help me do that. Obviously, higher stats help you win the fight. A calculator tells you exactly how much they help in specific situations. It helps you calculate your risks exactly and so be prepared for an upcoming game.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like Dave, I fail to see the point of this. Then again, I prefer to build and paint models I like, rather than the ones that will be 0.674% more effective against my next opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Unlike Dave and gaarew, I do see your point, and find this calculator very interesting. I often do these kinds of calculations in my head for fun although they don't have too much influence on my army building (since I'm more of a scenario than points match player). I probably would not use it for army building but I think I could amuse myself with it.

Being partly a software developer, I tend to see all kinds of software projects interesting, whether they are useful to other people or not. It also might require a perverse affection to mathematics to really see your point... :-) Very often making things is more fun than actually having the finished thing.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

wibls wrote:
When building an army. Obviously, people have different ways of doing things, but I like to ensure the effectiveness of an army or unit type before buying models for gaming purposes. A calculator like this will help me do that. Obviously, higher stats help you win the fight. A calculator tells you exactly how much they help in specific situations. It helps you calculate your risks exactly and so be prepared for an upcoming game.
That might be ok if you knew exactly what you are fighting and even then an opponant will have several different models with different profiles, you don't need a calculator for that. If I knew I would be fighting elves then I know there is no point in taking Mordor orcs but would take Morannons instead as the Fight value makes no difference and the D6 does. All models have differeing effectiveness depending on what they are up against, you can't work this out without knowing what you are fighting against.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have use for this, I thought others might, too. If not, it's not a problem for me.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My friend is going to physics grad school and uses excel all the time. He knows how to make the program do calculus. He also built a very basic c++ (or whever) prgram for 40k to determine your chance at destroying a tank (before 5th ed came out). He is interested in starting LOTR SBG and would probably find this idea worth looking into. Next time I talk to him I will see if he wants me to give you his email.