All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

Would you be interested in participating in a Paint-Off?
Yes 81%  81%  [ 17 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like a great idea!

I would like to see everyone paint the same miniature, but I can see that it's not tempting for everyone. Wouldn't be a problem for me because I don't collect any single army but just minis that I like or want for some reason, be it gaming or painting.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

When I originally had the idea, I knew that not everyone would be able to participate every month. With a community this large, that would be impossible to do anyway. However, if we plan this out far enough in advance, everyone should have a fair chance of getting the right mini. Basically, if you want to join in you can (and if you work hard, there's a shot at winning). If you don't want to paint what we're painting (or can't) then jump in next month.

With eBay and trades, most minis can be obtained at a decent price. I just think that if we open it up to whatever, then it's like doing a mini OR Awards, and I don't want to detract from that. That is our BIG event every year.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i like the idea and i want to participate
(i wouldnt to participate in the to9g(dont have the time and the money) but the concept is pretty cool)

what about giving a selection of a few models a month? so you have to pick one of those but have some freedom which one you choose?

i dont mind buying a figure once a month cause i'll find a way to use this figure in a scenario or whatever, or otherwise, the figure is in my backlog(which is huge)

anyway, i hope it all turns out okay and i hope more people will join^^

(if we go for 1-figure-choice a month, we can open a poll to vote which figure will be done next month(repeating this every month))
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the idea of having a Poll of a few choices as to what the next months model will be.

If this ends up what we do perhaps we could start sometime through December with a Poll for Januarys mini and have January as the first Paint-Off.

If you decide on that option of course :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I like that idea, BaruKhazad. It would be a nice compromise netween the two ideas, offering up a small number of miniatures for the participants to choose from. A poll would also be a desireable option if we do decide to paint only one miniature.

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I love the idea! Excellent thinking Jonathan.

How long would the paint off take from start to finish - a month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah, I was thinking a month. Since we've got the nod from the Grand Poobah, we'll move ahead with this.

I'll knock together some rules tonight and we can get started.

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great news, looking forward to this. I'd like to participate if we do one this month but it'd be more likely I'll wait out untill next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looking forward to helping out with this and participating in it, Jonathan. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I too would be very interested in participating... it will be interesting to see which models will be chosen.

Only one thing, maybe choosing a cheaper single miniature would be better, there would be more people involved that way... the price of an Ent or model of that size I think could be a deterrent.

KJ

www.myspace.com/AIBmelbourne
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Josh (Longbottom Leaf) and I hashed out these rules by combining ideas from this thread with the old Monthly Painting Vow thread. If you see anything that needs to be changed, or if you have ideas or questions, just let me know.

If you'll notice, we also worked out a compromise on the miniature selection that will encourage us all to work on the same or similar miniatures, without penalizing those whose hobby resources are more limited.

Paint-Off Guidelines (Rough Draft)

1. A miniature will be selected prior to the beginning of each Paint-Off. Although it is not required, it is strongly suggested that you paint the chosen miniature, although some accomodation is allowed.

Example -- Aragorn (Breaking of the Fellowship) is chosen as this month's Paint-Off miniature. If you do not own this boxed set, then it is suggested that you try and paint another version of Aragorn (e.g. Ambush at Amon Hen). If you do not own any versions of Aragorn, or already have a bunch of different painted Aragorns, then you should paint another Epic Hero (preferably one that would use similar painting techniques, e.g. Halbarad, Faramir in Ranger garb, etc.). If the miniature is not an Epic Hero, then you should choose a replacement of the same type (Monster/Cavalry/Small Unit/etc.)

2. Miniatures may not be painted at the beginning of the Paint-Off (assembled and undercoated is fine), and each participant should show proof of this status.

3. You may join a Paint-Off in progress at any time, but must submit photographs of the completed miniature by midnight GMT of the deadline. WIP images are welcomed and encouraged.

4. Miniatures that are completed in time will be eligible to win the Paint-Off challenge. The Paint-Off challenge will be decided by the vote of the OR community. The community will choose one winner and one runner-up from the completed miniatures. Votes should be cast not simply on painting skill, but on merit, including creativity, application of painting techniques, artist improvement, etc. The winner will receive three (3) gold coins and the runner-up will receive two (2) gold coins.

5. Winners from the previous month are able to participate in the Paint-Off, but are not eligible to win in consecutive months.

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gold coins might be a good idea, but a forum from a club I know which also holds painting comps has designed little medals which members can use in their signature to indicate one has won a particular competition.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm not too sure about that, as that seems like it would be a little too similar to the OR awards. Gold coins should suffice as a reward. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How about awarding a single golden coin at random to 5 participants each month. That way, regardless of one's painting skill, everyone has a shot at winning a coin for playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I believe the winner of the month will be chosen for a varitey of reasons, not just the best paint job. The winner could have improved their painting, chosen a unique color scheme that they executed well, or have tried out new techniques. This way, everyone has a chance to win. I believe that was Jonathan's intention, but you may want to ask him as well. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Aye. That would be fair. So even if they just started painting, they can still win for coming up with an awesome color scheme for a wood elf, etc. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Indeed, that was my intention, Joshua.

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

While I agree with you all that anyone should be able to win, I have a feeling that stunning paint jobs will always win out the popular vote. Everyone will always have their personal preference and will vote for whatever reason they deem best.

I wonder we'd be better served not to put them up for a vote but just allow everyone to appreciate the best efforts in contributing to the monthly "challenge". Again, to encourage participation, a single golden coin could be given out to all participants (or a random selection of participants if the fear is that the "coffers" run low).

Regardless of what's decided upon, I'll be happy to try and participate. I've always wanted to join in on the monthly painting vows and tale of X gamers but couldn't guarantee the time. Painting a single miniature is well within my grasp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I could go either way on that. It should, however, be one or the other, not both. (The best way to get coins should always be to contribute to the site by writing articles.)

What do you guys think? 3 and 2 for the winner and runner-up, or 1 to 5 random participants that complete the challenge?

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

3 and 2. Otherwise gold coins are going to be too easy to get. And Erunion you are completely correct, the best way to achieve gold coins is by writing a meaningful, helpful article that will benefit all members of the site. Thats not to say go and write and article for the sake of gaining coins, but I think that should remain the soul way of getting coins.

KJ

www.myspace.com/AIBmelbourne