All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 am

Post subject: Re: Today, I supported my Hobbit Hobby by...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Those knights are beautiful; their cloaks almost seem to glow! Along with their armour, they are stunning. I'd love to see your take on the Rivendell knights and some evil forces.

Thank you very much! I've just managed to finish up my infantry last night (24 total, 8 of each) actually, along with Gil-Galad and The Twins. I've got a generic Captain in progress, and once he's finished I'll be moving onto my Rivendell Knights. I'll be sure to post them here when I'm finished with them - I'm rather looking forward to tackling horses, as it's been a long long time since I've painted a mount that wasn't some fantastical beast.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, I went to the paint store last week. Or tried to, anyway. I hadn't been to my FLGS all fall and decided that while my friend and I went thrifting in NE Calgary, we would stop in. Unfortunately, it went out of business at the end of June. Normally, I'd just hop on the train and go downtown, but my friend was with me and that would've been rude, so I said I'd get them another day.

Then I had an event I was attending SE Calgary, so I figured I'd go to the GW and buy the paints. I got there and realized I'd forgot my wallet in my other pants. Horror of horrors. It's not just a matter of driving across town. I actually don't live in Calgary, but in a little village outside of the city. It takes an hour and a half to get to the GW by driving. I tried to get them to do a credit card order over the phone, but they wouldn't do it. The next day I still couldn't find my wallet, so I looked in the car again. There it was, behind and between the driver's seat. I let loose a howl that would've put the White Warg to shame.

Then I decided I would order them online. Without free shipping, the shipping costs more than the paints. So my desk is littered with half painted miniatures from about 5 different armies, while I wait for either the opportunity to go into town again or the miniatures I want to come back in stock so I can have free shipping. If Shakespeare was a hobbiest, I'd be a tragicomedy. GW sells hundreds of thousands of paint pots every month, but not to me, I guess! :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I feel your pain. I recently wanted to go to a FLGS that had a big bits box to see what I could find just to find out it had closed a month earlier. FLGS are getting harder to find.