All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Post subject: Long Time, No See!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey everyone!

Last night I had the sudden urge to pick the game back up again after several years of absence. As it turns out, it's been 4 years and 4 days since I last logged in! Crazy length of time since I submitted that nutty "Ent Mage" character in the homebrew section. Anyone want to fill me in on what I've missed these past 4 years?

Anyway, glad to be back and I hope this time, I stay a little longer.

In the mirror of doom."
 Post subject: Re: Long Time, No See!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hi - Well, I can say this to you - a lot has certainly changed in 4 years, that's for sure. Read on and you will be pleased....

First off, this site here is a bit quieter than it was back in t's hey day, as much of the traffic that was once here has moved over to the Facebook groups. But that said, this site still has regular posts made on a daily basis, and the WIP section is particularly busy and inspiring as a large number of members post their current projects. Seems like a lot of terrain builds recently, but there will be models and dioramas to be seen as well. You can generally see a few members logged in at most times, and as always, there's a huge number of unregistered guests visiting pages as well.

As for SBG and the game itself, I'm guessing that you're aware that its had quite a renaissance. GW really dove back in head first about 2 years ago, and there's new rules, new FAQ's, new profiles, and lots and lots and lots of new models.

In addition to the new main rulebook, all of these books listed below have been released just in the last two years:

Armies of the Lord of the Rings
Armies of the Hobbit
Battle Companies
Gondor at War
Scouring of the Shire
Rohan at War
Matched Play Rulebook

And the amount of new profiles and corresponding models that have been released is simply too numerous to count, but there is at least several dozen new models to purchase. And even more surprising, loads of old OOP models have been brought back by GW and come available from time to time on the site. And I'm talking about models that have been OOP for 10-15 years. Great way to fill gaps in your collection.

So, my advice to you ? First, hop on the GW website and check out some of the new stuff, and then also go to Forge World and check out their impressive collection....Then you should also visit the Warhammer Community website and check out all the Middle Earth SBG articles and content there.... And lastly, come back here and click on read new posts tab on the top right and you've probably got about 10,000 old posts to catch up on !

So again, welcome back - there's lots for you to see !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awesome! Shame the site's quieter now. I remember it being pretty bustling back in the day. I'd submit a question or make a thread, go off to college, come back and see I'd have like, 4-6 replies - all detailed and insightful of course. Shame the site's been shrinking but the quality of posts still look really good.

I'm excited to see the new rules! Just popped into a "Warhammer" store today to see if they had any copies to hand. Had to order in sadly but apparently GW have changed their shipping policy and now stores get their deliveries everyday. Pretty sweet! Seems everything other than the new Pelennor Fields box-set is online-only.

Currently bidding on a shade model and planning out my Isengard army. Really happy to be back!

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sorry to break it to you but the Shade has been nerfed considerably in the new rules. So maybe don’t bid too much ! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ja33 wrote:
Sorry to break it to you but the Shade has been nerfed considerably in the new rules. So maybe don’t bid too much ! :)

Just grabbed the rulebook and honestly, I'm glad it was finally nerfed. I still get 8 turns ruining all your duel rolls! :-D

But seriously, I think it's about time the shade got a nerf because -1 to all combat rolls was ridiculous. I payed half price for it thankfully, pretty excited to paint him too.

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I almost shouldn't tell you this now as you going to be annoyed but the Shade has gotten nerfed a second time with the most recent FAQ - now his -1 affects all models, good and evil, with the only exception being Angmar models..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news !