All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

Post subject: Unnamed Ringwraiths proxied for named one's, allowed?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi there,

Quite new to the game and forums. I have scavenged most of my questions from previous posts but one simple question remains:

Can you use unnamed ringwraiths and play them as named ones in the list?
Is this technically proxying or is it accounted for by gw?

Side-note: I've converted some morannon orcs to blackguard using greenstuff, is this generally allowed in tournaments? Or is this tournament specific?

Any help would be much appreciated.
 Post subject: Re: Unnamed Ringwraiths proxied for named one's, allowed?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

In GW events the answer would probably be no, as those models are currently available to so proxies or conversions are allowed.

In independent tournaments it would be up to the organisers of the event, although the answer would probably still be no.

In friendly games you can do whatever you and your opponent agree.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I can see why you'd want to ask this question but unfortunately, answers on the internet might not be so useful as this is really a local question. It's like asking do you like coffee or tea, different people have different views. The poster above me has said that their GW would not allow it as the miniatures are in production, while mine most certainly does allow it - in fact, the manager even has a few conversions as well!

Should you have to buy the new white council box to have access to Galadriel, Lady of Light? Or is the old white council box's Galadriel good enough? This question can only be answered by your opponents and your FLGS as it varies a lot over the world. That said, with the wraiths you've asked about it's a reasonably close model - I think the only real issues on the wraith side would be if you're fielding multiple wraiths. Can be really hard to tell them apart but that has always been an issue, even when they are unnamed you still need to track their m/w/f so that's not really an excuse so much as an annoyance.

Converting something up is a no-brainer to me, of course it's allowed. So long as it's visually distinct enough that I can tell at a glance. Even better is if you're not fielding Morannons, so all converted Morannons are Black Guard. I hate the Watcher of Karna and Serpent guard models, so I have converted some out of Uruk scouts and Haradrim warriors respectively. No chance of mistaking them and have never encountered an issue with my opponents with them.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Where tournaments are concerned, the one and only answer will always be: ask the TO (tournament organiser). Just like everybody will have their own views and opinions, every TO is different in what they allow - and being the final authority, their view is all that matters for a tournament. Show the figures or send some pictures and they'll sort you right out.

In some circles, anything that looks good, seems fun or sounds cool will be allowed. A stricter line will normally be that anything produced (sometimes "currently produced") by GW should be used. This means that named wraiths on fellbeasts can commonly be represented by the normal, unnamed figure (no fellbeast-mounted ones were ever made), while those on horseback and foot should be the actual named sculpts. The middle ground is equally variable by the way: some may allow a conversion of an unnamed wraith, others will feel a different colourcheme may suffice.

The Black Guard are even trickier to give any indication on, depends to what extent they resemble Black Guard, to what extent they resemble Morannon Orcs, ergo to what extent confusion as to their profile may exist.
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Personally, if youre only running one wraith, I feel its totally fine. No room for confusion, and it *is* the right model. Plus, the unnamed wraiths look pretty cool. :P

If youre running multiples though, I feel like using the official named models would be a better idea.