All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 am

Post subject: Black powder
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been thinking a lot of late that Tolkiens world would have been very close to engineering early fire arms (cannons, flintlocks, muskets) in the 3rd age. I'm just wondering if others have thought of this and gone as far a incorporating this into there games somehow in anyway, I look forward to your thoughts :wink:
 Post subject: Re: Black powder
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I always wanted to see Nazgul dropping bombs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You know... You could theoretically pick up a charge, and drop it, hoping the damage detonates it. If not, just send in a guy with a torch...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Middle earth was always weird with its technology that started and ended thousands of years later about the same. The only things that ever seemed to invent anything were the evil powers. As for whether they had the technological capabilities to make guns I'd say its likely that, between both good and evil, they might have had both the metal working skills and the chemical knowledge to pull it off. On the other hand, just being able to do something does not mean that it will happen. Just because Saruman could have built a cannon with his blasting powered as a propellant, for instance, does not mean that he would have ever been met with a challenge were just an idea would have seem practicable or worth the trouble. And if Sauron always had such vast pools of manpower for a siege, lets say, to be particle for taking every stronghold then why would he think about breaking down the walls faster with something like a cannon? Good has the problem of being written by a guy who disliked industrialization so they never seem to think positively about technological development and would likely shun everyone who might have made the jump to guns with the right resources.

I like to think about this question in the same context as the Egyptian steam engine. Yes, they could think of it and yes, they could build a working model but they did not have anything to do with it so they never bothered to fix its technical problems and abandoned it. Even if the good guys could have built a primitive gun archery is at such a high level (see Legolas) that they might well never think the trade off was worth it when you're fighting large numbers of orcs with poor arms and armor. The Orcs themselves were not going to do it because they don't seem to do long-term planning, and Saruon would never need it to win so way bother. That is my thinking away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Also, Saruman, the guy who actually wanted new technology, had gotten usurped and killed. And Sauron has magic, while orcs cannot shoot straight anyways.
By the way, are you saying JRR Tolkien was against new technology? I did not know that. Sheds a new light.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree that Arda had a very slow technological advancement after reaching an iron age esque level early in the first age and not much more past the 3rd age (total of 7000 Years). Plus after the start/end of the 3rd age I kinda thought technology started to regress a bit due to the elf's leaving middle earth they where the best smiths after all.

But how cool would it have been if the warriors at the black gate had fire lances or the walls of minas tirith were lined with hwacha :rofl:

Also cave dragon I don't think Tolkien hated technology it just a lot of writers have picked up on an idea that there is a kinda link between it and dark powers per sa.