All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

Post subject: The Rings Of Crud (sorry, Power)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What does everyone think of the Rings of power series, personally I think its rubbish. Why did they have to make it so badly :shock: :shock:

Post subject: Re: The Rings Of Crud (sorry, Power)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lots of vocal people seem to hate it but we watched it as a family and really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I just don't see why they had to change so much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it is terrible on almost every conceivable metric. It's a horrible adaptation of Tolkien's work (like, TRULY bad), it's not a good fantasy show in its own right, and it's just plum not good television.

It seems to have generally better received by the SBG community than the wider Tolkien fanbase, which is interesting. No one in my gaming group likes it, but I see generally more praise or interest for Rings of Power content within MESBG Facebook groups, subreddits, or YouTube videos. I think it may have something to do with the GW-conditioned wargamer mindset--"ANY new content is welcome"--but as Quendil said above, he watched it with his family and enjoyed it. So idk

I know one person who liked it and about a half dozen people who desperately hate it. Most others I know either didn't finish it or didn't care enough to start it in the first place.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Right, I have decided that I will most definitely not be watching it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is a crime against the Lord of the Rings. Even if this series had no direct connection to Tolkien's works, it would still be an average fantasy creation. However, the fact that it is based on arguably the greatest fantasy world of all time makes it a crime.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

aethelwulf wrote:

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but you started a thread about how bad RoP is without having watched it? If you're gonna criticize something to the point of starting a thread negatively, at least take the time to know your subject? :)

For me, trying to keep an open mind, the series started of not bad. Not great either, but the set design etc is amazing. The acting is good, and they clearly put ALOT of effort in getting dialect coaches. (I would argue the pronunciation of non-english words in the series is better than in PJ's movies.)
Furthermore, the dwarves are a highlight. They are lovely.

That being said, the story was messy. Needless changes to Galadriel's character made her close to insufferable the further into the season we go. The elven 'sickness' they invented and the need for mithril to 'cure' it blew my mind with how weird of a storydecision it was. Might be a ploy by Gil-Galad but the Gil-Galad we know wouldn't be like that.
The costumes were hit and miss. The dwarven costumes were great. The elven costumes mostly were too, but the hairstyle choices are baffling. Furthermore they chose to include actors of all ages for the elves, which doesn't make sense at all when it comes to consistency. Celebrimbor is a 50-something man, but Galadriel is around 30? The Sauron reveal was not only very obvious, but downright bad, and the forging of the rings, THE most important even for a series that's named RoP was rushed and anticimactic.

I don't know if I will watch season 2. I didn't hate watching season 1, but the further into the season, the worse the story decisions and writing gets. And that's a shame.

But I would like to distance myself from the horrible racism and misoginy and fatshaming and whatnot that the internetcommunity decides to throw at everything they don't like. I want nothing to do with them. Dislike a series for it's merit in writing and production, not the people involved.

My 2 cents! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Amarthadan wrote:
aethelwulf wrote:

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but you started a thread about how bad RoP is without having watched it? If you're gonna criticize something to the point of starting a thread negatively, at least take the time to know your subject? :)

For me, trying to keep an open mind, the series started of not bad. Not great either, but the set design etc is amazing. The acting is good, and they clearly put ALOT of effort in getting dialect coaches. (I would argue the pronunciation of non-english words in the series is better than in PJ's movies.)
Furthermore, the dwarves are a highlight. They are lovely.

That being said, the story was messy. Needless changes to Galadriel's character made her close to insufferable the further into the season we go. The elven 'sickness' they invented and the need for mithril to 'cure' it blew my mind with how weird of a storydecision it was. Might be a ploy by Gil-Galad but the Gil-Galad we know wouldn't be like that.
The costumes were hit and miss. The dwarven costumes were great. The elven costumes mostly were too, but the hairstyle choices are baffling. Furthermore they chose to include actors of all ages for the elves, which doesn't make sense at all when it comes to consistency. Celebrimbor is a 50-something man, but Galadriel is around 30? The Sauron reveal was not only very obvious, but downright bad, and the forging of the rings, THE most important even for a series that's named RoP was rushed and anticimactic.

I don't know if I will watch season 2. I didn't hate watching season 1, but the further into the season, the worse the story decisions and writing gets. And that's a shame.

But I would like to distance myself from the horrible racism and misoginy and fatshaming and whatnot that the internetcommunity decides to throw at everything they don't like. I want nothing to do with them. Dislike a series for it's merit in writing and production, not the people involved.

My 2 cents! :)

Well said. I watched it in the mindset of a fantasy series based in middle earth with my kids who enjoyed it.