All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm

Post subject: sauron.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

in the films itis made out that sauron is undefeatable. you see him singlehandedly crushing hundereds of troops until, by fluke, h/.e looses the ring. so is it the ring that makes him so powerful?. in the begining of arda morgoth is driven of and defeated in battle by elves. he created sauron so therefore sauron should be less powerful than him yet he still manages to be undefeatable. i presume morgoth was defeated (not killed) by elven magic not force of arms. dose this meen that the ring of power makes sauron invunerable to these attacks? why is he so powerful. similary balrogs are said to be of great power. however these are agin defeated by elves. however in the third age the elves cant do anything. have they lost some of this magic as a dying race? obviously they are less in numbers but they also appear much weaker. make of this what you will because i lost myself but an answer to the many questions would be appereciated. thanks
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Morgoth did not create Sauron. Sauron was Maiar, a powerful demi-god, much more powerful than the balrogs, and became Morgoth's deputy. Morgoth was not defeated by the elves or men - it took 2 invasions from Valinor led by gods and demi-gods (including Olorin) to defeat him. Balrogs were not all of the same capability or strength, though they were all what may be collectively termed fire elementals. Not all elves are of the same power either - how could you compare Lady Galadriel with a rank and file elven soldier? The elves managed to defeat only a few balrogs - it was the coming of the Valar and their vast armies that defeated almost all of the balrogs - only DurinsBane remained in the record, hidden in the depths under the Misty Mountains.

For what you have said, I feel safe in assuming you have not actually read The Silmarillion or any of the background tales of Middle-earth. You can get a lot of this history and information in useful cross-indexed format on these two sites:

http://www.glyphweb.com/ARDA/
http://www.tuckborough.net/

Morgoth is banished to the Outer Darkness for eternity. Sauron may have wanted dominion over Middle-earth for himself, or he may have wanted to use that power to 'rescue' his master.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks. i as you said i have not read any background books purely because i cant find them. thanks for the links. ill fix up my veiw of middle earth :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It make take you quite a long time - just a matter of thousands of years of history and a cast of, err, millions... enjoy! :)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!