All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:46 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

imrail wrote:
And Eowyn is soooooo good. She kills a mumak with a blunt orc blade and a small sword. She kills the mumak where a dozen of armoured big, muscled riders failed... thats odd.

I don't think she kills it so much as hamstrings it...not that that's much better :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

rohan royal guards- just swing their swords at nothing when they ride down the causway.

i always wondered why that is yeh. and lurtz waits 15 minutes between each arrow on boromir. and noone else than aragorn sees the torchbearer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

imrail wrote:
And Eowyn is soooooo good. She kills a mumak with a blunt orc blade and a small sword. She kills the mumak where a dozen of armoured big, muscled riders failed... thats odd.

Agreed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

imrail wrote:
Oh the soldier doesn't get killed, but a rider of rohan loses his sword when fighting against a mumakil.
I think that's Theoden or Eomer there, who tries to... cut off a tusk? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jamros:
Quote:
Did anyone ever see the bit in RotK where an orc jumps off a building roof and a WoMT opens his arms to catch him, after which, the orc bites his neck? Roflcopteresplosion.

Yeah, that was a bit wierd. He waits for a few seconds with his arms out ready to catch the orc - wouldn't you just punch it in the face? :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

gambit025 wrote:
Jamros:
Quote:
Did anyone ever see the bit in RotK where an orc jumps off a building roof and a WoMT opens his arms to catch him, after which, the orc bites his neck? Roflcopteresplosion.

Yeah, that was a bit wierd. He waits for a few seconds with his arms out ready to catch the orc - wouldn't you just punch it in the face? :roll:

Or just let it fall and let it break its legs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
donuthare wrote:
rohan royal guards- just swing their swords at nothing when they ride down the causway.

i always wondered why that is yeh. and lurtz waits 15 minutes between each arrow on boromir. and noone else than aragorn sees the torchbearer

He waits less than fifteen seconds between shots...and that time probably because other uruks were blocking his shots (getting in his way), he was looking for Boromir to expose a vulnerable area, (i.e. heart, lungs) or some other reason.

I'm sure others besides Aragorn saw the torch, however most were too busy exchanging blows with Uruks to do anything about it.

However, I have some I don't think anyone's mentioned.....

The elves at Helm's Deep. During one scene there is a couple of elves holding their bows in an absolutely pathetic way, with their fingers in the wrong places. Will post pic if I can find one.

And one other one, who I suddenly can't remember..... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jamros wrote:

I believe that was part of the stunt; the receiving stuntman (the Gondorian) catching the oncoming stuntman (the Orc) so that the latter doesn't actually get hurt in real life. Is it something very noticeable, or is it background stuff?

Also, for the Uruks raising their pikes: that wasn't just "the sun" coming out, it was Gandalf useing Blinding Light to... well, blind his foes. They instinctively put their hands up to try and block the light. Orcs don't like the sun, remember.

Having said that, the garrison at Minas Tirith was portrayed very poorly. They should have been the most veteran and well-equipped mannish rank and file in the films, but they looked like fresh recruits. Also, as far as I can remember the Nazgul were just flying overhead shrieking and frightening them in the books. Only in the movies were Men of Gondor flung from catwalks and ledges by the Fell Beasts.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh, its clearly part of a stunt, thats what I assumed. It would be quite dangerous to have an actor in heavy armor and make up jump from a ten foot roof onto another actor. But if memory serves, it was in the forefront of the shot; it was quite obvious and noticeable and just looked ridiculously odd :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jamros wrote:
Oh, its clearly part of a stunt, thats what I assumed. It would be quite dangerous to have an actor in heavy armor and make up jump from a ten foot roof onto another actor. But if memory serves, it was in the forefront of the shot; it was quite obvious and noticeable and just looked ridiculously odd :)

Ah, certainly not ideal. Such things are a necessary part of filmmaking, but should be left as background stuff where it's less noticeable.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about when Legolas climbs onto the Mumakil, the Haradrim jumps out on top of him, Legolas just leans to one side, and lets the Haradrim fall off. :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I would wager that every 'epic' every made has pants acting/fight choreography going on in the background because, well, they are EXTRAS, guys. Not ninjas. Not swordmasters. A lot of the Galadhrim were picked for their thin physique - I believe many were students, from what I remember from eatching the extras on the EE DVD's. A lot of the Rohirrim were women; why? Because they were more into horse-riding.

We can all pick holes in scene after scene, fair enough.

But I bet the comedic value would be even higher if some of us were put in the same position... :lol:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
But I bet the comedic value would be even higher if some of us were put in the same position... :lol:

Yeah, lol. Like me as Hobbit: "why's that Hobbit as tall as Boromir?" :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hahaha yeah I noticed alot of those scenes too. :lol:

Still I think PJ has done an amazing job.

Rueben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
lot of the Galadhrim were picked for their thin physique - I believe many were students, from what I remember from eatching the extras on the EE DVD's. A lot of the Rohirrim were women; why? Because they were more into horse-riding.

yeah they just picked random people to do stuff like that.. like they ran out of people to be warriors of rohan at the battle of helms deep that they ended up getting lots of maori boys and put them in the background. they called them the "brohai" i read it in this book that was at school..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
I A lot of the Rohirrim were women; why? Because they were more into horse-riding.

Maybe all the Rohirrim women, not just Eowyn, secretly go to war... :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar wrote:
Dorthonion wrote:
I A lot of the Rohirrim were women; why? Because they were more into horse-riding.

Maybe all the Rohirrim women, not just Eowyn, secretly go to war... :-D

Hahaha, agreed!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bad luck for the Witchking... :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

While the men all hide at home? :wink:

Anyway, this thread is looking a bit derailed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jamros wrote:

But seriously, I do love these movies. :)

Yeah, I'm always noticing that. He's like "Here orcy, I'll catch you!"