All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opinions, SPOILERS!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
Surely it would have to be a flashback though, unless they heavily change the origins of the map.

That looks more like an Orc to me, the skin tone looks greyish. I suppose it could just be the lighting.

No it was certainly a human like character and most likely it was thrain. I studied the trailer and definetly has a beard and a human-like nose (very very unusual for orcs)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think its because he has been exposed to a dark power causing the mindlessness. Just as Theoden looked when influenced by the dark power of Saruman. The grey skin seems a visual way to get that across. Pure speculation of course.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
Surely it would have to be a flashback though, unless they heavily change the origins of the map.

They already changed this when they had Gandalf not know about Dol Guldur until Radagast tells him in the movie and shows him the Morgul Blade.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That would have to be Thrain in a flashback as Gandalf got the key and map from Thrain in Dol Guldur.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
That would have to be Thrain in a flashback as Gandalf got the key and map from Thrain in Dol Guldur.

Are you talking about the movies timeline (which changes several key things in history) or the Book timeline. For the Book you are correct but in The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (the Movie) they changed several things in the history. First of all the Council knew of Dol Guldur in the books for, I think, about 100 years, There was no White council meeting when Bilbo was in Imlandris with the Dwarfs as this happened before the Company set out, Galdalf was only to accompany them to the Edge of Mirkwood do to the business with Dol Guldur (in the movie he is taking the whole trip with them, remember in the book one of the important reasons they allowed Bilbo to come along was to remove the unlucky number of 13 as Gandalf didn't count among the company), And the Witchking was never locked away (while in the movie they have a line in there about him being entombed and powerful magics placed on his prison), and Radagast had to convince Gandalf that Dol Guldur was occupied by a powerful Necromancer.

So given the fact he knows nothing about the stirrings in Dol Guldur, how could he have gotten the key and map from Thrain while imprisoned with in Dol Guldur? That is if your talking about the movie over the book and appendices or the first movie doesn't add up with the next two about Gandalf not knowing about the Necromancer.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm talking about the book. I have no idea how they're going to explain how he got the map. But I'm sure that that is Thrain as they said that he disappeared at the battle, the only reason I can see why they would say that is to set him up to attack Gandalf like that. From what they showed of him in the movie, I got the feeling that he was a very great warrior and wouldn't just die.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It could still be a flash back I guess, you could have Thrain stabbed with a Morgul Blade or corrupted and attack Gandalf where Thrain gets beaten and before he dies gives gandalf the key and map, this would explain where Gandalf obtained it and just moves the location of their meeting while giving Peter Jackson his additional fight scene. (keep in mind this is all conjecture on my part)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10