All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:30 am

Post subject: 4th Age Garrisons/Armies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally, 4th age armies are some of the most fun things to field in game, they are fluffy, powerful, but also let you mix and match more armies than you would be able to normally. However there is alot of uncertainty about what characters were where at the dawn of the 4th age so I started this thread to pool our knowledge and create a definitive list of where what characters could be at the dawn of the third age.

A question mark means I am not sure if the character is alive and if so, I am not sure if they would they be in the place I listed or somewhere else?

[b]Rohan:[/b]
Eomer
Erkenbrand
Gamling

Ithillien
Faramir
Legolas
Eowyn
Beregond
Damrod

Minas Tirith
Elessar
Cirion

Fiefdoms
Imrahil? (I know he is alive but would he have stayed in Minas Tirith to advise Aragorn?)
Angbor?
Duinhir?

Glittering Caves
Gimli
Gloin?
Erkenbrand?
Surviving members of Thorin's company such as Dwalin, Dori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur etc?
Erkenbrand

Well that is all I can think of for now, post replies and I will post the agreed upon lists in the op.

P.S: Regarding the Glittering Caves, it seems likely to me that there would be at least one of the named Rohan heroes garrisoned at Helms Deep, I know that the Rohirrim did stations soldiers there. I chose Erkenbrand because:
A: He was the guy who saved Helms Deep, and thus deserves it more than anyone else.
B: Because he is a grizzled veterand and Eomer seems like the kinda guy who would reward him with a hench castle for his years of service (I sound like Cersei Lannister I know).

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: 4th Age Garrisons/Armies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think you mean surviving members of Thorin's company, unless Dwalin and co. are older than anyone thought.

Beregond was assigned to Ithilien by Aragorn for killing some of Denethor's guards to try and save Faramir. Damrod, as a ranger of Ithilien, would stay in Ithilien. Forlong was killed on the Pelennor, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Forlong and Duinhir were killed at the fields of the Pelennor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Cool project! :)

In the books, Gamling was the (old) Captain in command at the Deeping Wall. He was not mentioned later. In the movies, PJ gave him the role of Guthlaf, Theoden's personal banner bearer. Guthlaf, however, was killed at the Pelennor. Gamling's profile could very well represent the carrier of the King's banner though!

Cirion is made up by GW, so it's up to you to decide if you want to include him or not. Beregond should also be with Faramir, because he was banned from Minas Tirith by Elessar (for killing in Rath Dunen).

Damrod was a Ranger of Ithilien, and his profile represents this. Therefore, I think he's less appropriate in a Minas Tirith army (unless allied).

I think Imrahil would have stayed in Dol Amroth -as he was the Prince of Dol Amroth-, but he likely rode to war with Aragorn.

Forlong was killed at the Pelennor. Duinhir's sons (Duilin and Derufin) died at the Pelennor too, but he is not mentioned amongst the fallen, so he survived the battle. Angbor must also still have been around.

At the time of the WotR, Erkenbrand was Lord of Helm's Deep. So yes, it makes sense to give him Helm's Deep afterwards. I would keep him out of the Glittering Caves army list though, as I expect the Dwarves would be led by their own Heroes (otherwise, Captains of Rohan could be chosen with KG, to minimise the points spend on Heroes, for example).
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh yeah I wouldn't lead dwarf warriors with Rohan heroes or vice versa, I want the lists to be legal, so it would be a case of who to ally to who.

Also I will go and slap Beregond in Ithillien. I think I will keep Cirion in Minas Tirith otherwise Elessar will be very lonely.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is a neat project. Honestly, when you are done, you should format it up really nice and submit it to the article library here. It would be an awesome resource, and it would be a shame for it to disappear under other threads.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Presumably Arwen would be at Mina's Tirith? Unless she and Elessar have had a falling out?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've only played one formal Fourth Age game, although it was an entertaining one - the Kings of Rohan and Gondor/Arnor ride to recapture the port-city of Umbar, along with various Princes and Knights.

Details are at: http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5183

There are all manner of other scenarios that I want to try, such as searching the wreck of Mordor for the Rings of Men and Dwarves or exploring out east.

If theme is so important why bother with Warband rules?