All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:50 am

Post subject: Dwarf Kings
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I recently found the Khazad-Dum book at the secondhand store and am excited to start painting my dwarf army. However, there are a few bits of lore that seem to be in conflict with each other.

Where does Dain Ironfoot rule? Khazad-Dum puts him as lord of Erebor, but in the Bo5A film, he doesn't live there, no one lives there!

Who ruled Khazad-Dum/Moria before it was overtaken by the balrog? I know Balin led the attempted recovery force, but he's from Erebor.

I'm asking so I can paint my lords and kings appropriately. I have plans to do Khazad-Dum/Moria in the loveliest emerald green and magenta scheme. It looks great with the new green-gold paint. Dwarves are man enough to wear pink :-D

Post subject: Re: Dwarf Kings
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dain Ironfoot was originally the ruler of the Iron Hills, before becoming the ruler of Erebor after the Battle of the Five Armies. The profile in the Khazad-Dum sourcebook represents Dain as the ruler of Erebor during the time of the Lord of the Rings, rather than Dain during the time of the Hobbit.

As for Moria, in year 1980 of the Third Age the Dwarves woke the balrog, which killed the King of Moria, Durin VI, (which is why the Balrog became known as Durin's Bane), and in the following year, Durin's son, Náin I.
After that, the Dwarves fled Khazad-dum.

Durin VI died in TA 1980, and Moria was empty until Balin went in in TA 2989. Of course, that went badly, and the expedition was all dead by TA 2994.

Eventually, after Sauron was defeated, the dwarves, led by Durin VII, retook Khazad-dûm sometime in the Fourth Age.

I hope that helps - and I hope you'll put up some photos of your green-and-pink dwarves for us to admire - sounds like a very striking colour scheme.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

After Bailin's expedition the dwarves never went back into Moria. According to appendix in Return of the King Gondor and Rohan launched a campaign to wipe out the orcs there at some point in the 4th age but the place was never resettled by the Dwarves.

Also Khan you did read the Khazad Dum book right? It explains when each of the army lists is from.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not trying to start an argument here, but Yes, the Dwarves did retake moria - Durin VII took it back. I'm certain I've read it, and although I don't have the exact quote, Tolkien Gateway (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Durin_VII) agrees, and has "The Peoples of Middle-earth" section "Of Dwarves and Men" as a listed source.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes. Tolkien's gateway also says that the cited book was published after Tolkien's death using old notes and unused drafts that differ from what turned up in the published books. What I mistakenly credited to the appendices, which don't mention the matter as far as I can see, was actually from "The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare", a cinematic canon guide book. It states at the end of the Moria entry that the Dwarves never reoccupied the realm even after the orcs there were destroyed in the 4th age. That makes the Dwarven resettlement of Moria false in the cinematic continuity, false in the orthodox book continuity, and true in the extended book continuity. I guess that makes this question somewhat irrelevant in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ah, that explains the confusion, fair enough.
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm not sure how successful my dwarves will be in retaking Moria either! What I find interesting is the northernmost hold, that of Dwali, and its proximity to Gundabad. We know that the dragon Gaurakh lairs nearby, too. Unleashing the new Gundabad armies with a dragon in the confines of dwarf lairs could be fun. The dwarves also might meet some new allies in the tenacious men who inhabit these northern regions...