All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Post subject: Not All the Nazgûl at Pelennor Fields?
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was reading the "Siege of Gondor" chapter (Bk. 5, Ch. 4) and something caught my eye. On page 808-809, Pippin is looking down at the Pelennor fields and he sees the Wraiths on Wings chasing Faramir. It states he sees "five birdlike forms." These five Ringwraiths obviously do not include the Witch-King as he was leading the Morgul Host from a horse at this point.

In Appendix B, in the Tale of Years, the entry for Third Age 2951 states Sauron sent three of the Nazgûl to re-occupy Dol Guldur. One of these was of course Khamul the Easterling who is stated elsewhere as having command at Dol Guldur during the War of the Ring. Khamul was also second amongst the Nazgûl, which means that after the Witch-King fell during the battle of the Pelennor Fields, he should have become the new leader of the Mordor hosts. But the character who took over for the Witch-King was the elusive Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul (p. 846). Gothmog, contrary to the film, was most likely one of the Nine.

If Khamul wasn't at Pelennor fields, and only 6 of the Nine are accounted for there (The Witch-King and 5 on Winged Steeds), then it stands to reason that Khamul and the other 2 Wraiths chosen to reoccupy Dol Guldur were actually located there during the siege of Gondor. On the same day as the battle of the Pelennor Fields, Lothloríen and Mirkwood were attacked by forces from Dol Guldur, presumably under the command of Khamul and the other 2 Wraiths.

Obviously all the Black Riders issued forth from Mordor to find the Ring. But afterwards, once the War of the Ring really got going, I think it's reasonable to infer Sauron sent Khamul and the other 2 back to Dol Guldur to lead his forces in the northern theater.

As a side note, as far as relevance to the game is concerned, if you want to recreate Pelennor Fields, perhaps don't include Khamul and 2 other Ringwraiths.

Last edited by Terentius on Wed May 25, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Not All the Nazgûl at Pelennor Fields?
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Interesting reading Terentius, i think its what i love about the books so much is the deatil Tolkien put into them. Thanks for posting

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Khamul was confirmed (I think, been a while since I've read them) to be the one leading the assault on Erebor.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes I believe you're correct Draugluin. But the battle of Dale and assault on Erebor did not begin until two days after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields (March 17).
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Also, Gothmog being a ringwraith is speculation. He could be a bunch of things, I'm inclined to believe Tolkien would specify if Gothmog was in fact a ringwraith. But that too is speculation. ;)