All times are UTC


It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:50 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2945 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 148  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Unofficial LOTR Quiz Thread (Est. Fri Oct 15, 2004)
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Sheffield, UK
Images: 2
Right...here is an idea for an ongoing quiz !

I'll start it off with a LOTR based question
The question can be Book, Film, GW or anything
else provided it had a LOTR link in some way.

The person who gets the right answer gets to set the next one :wink:
==============================================
This thread replaces the original thread Est. on Oct 15th 2004.
On the 12th May 2008, it had 35,993 views, 1,785 replies and 90 pages.

Since our database is groaning under the weight of posts, I decided to
do a drastic trim on the old girl. As a result, some members will possibly
see a large reduction in their post count. Since it doesn't matter anyway
and it was me who set the ball rolling, I see no problem in this severe reduction for the good of the One Ring database.
==============================================

_________________
Careful with that axe of yours... Dain!

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260


Last edited by Azog on Mon May 12, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Mysterious person wrote:
Oft hope is born, when all is forlorn.


Who said it?

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Hoboken, Belgium
Joansean wrote:
Mysterious person wrote:
Oft hope is born, when all is forlorn.


Who said it?


Legolas.

Rueben

_________________
"Mickey, my friend!"
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
He was it indeed!

Pm Sent

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Hoboken, Belgium
Who was Ailinel?

Rueben

_________________
"Mickey, my friend!"
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Wasn't she the Sister of Aldarion ?

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Hoboken, Belgium
Joansean wrote:
Wasn't she the Sister of Aldarion ?


Be just a little more specific. :)

Rueben

_________________
"Mickey, my friend!"
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:11 pm
Posts: 1344
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Images: 6
Ailinel was the daughter of Tar Meneldur and Almarian. They had 3 children, Ailinel, Aldarion & Almiel.
Aldarion later became King, but because his wife did not bear him a son, and only a daughter, he used his ruling powers to change the law that would allow a female to take the throne.
Because of this, this stopped Ailinels son 'Soronto' from becoming King.

(but Sean already answered correctly, as you did not ask for a 'specific' answer) :)

_________________
There are fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Hoboken, Belgium
DurinsBane wrote:
Ailinel was the daughter of Tar Meneldur and Almarian. They had 3 children, Ailinel, Aldarion & Almiel.
Aldarion later became King, but because his wife did not bear him a son, and only a daughter, he used his ruling powers to change the law that would allow a female to take the throne.
Because of this, this stopped Ailinels son 'Soronto' from becoming King.

(but Sean already answered correctly, as you did not ask for a 'specific' answer) :)


Well no, because if I would say Sean gave a correct answer, it would almost be the same as if he would have said: She was someone who appears in a certain book written by J.R.R. Tolkien. :)

I prefer to let you ask the next question.

PM sent

Rueben

_________________
"Mickey, my friend!"
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Amarthadan wrote:
Well no, because if I would say Sean gave a correct answer, it would almost be the same as if he would have said: She was someone who appears in a certain book written by J.R.R. Tolkien. :)


So you think that the "Sister of Aldarion" is equivalent to "Someone who appears in a certain book written by J.R.R Tolkien" ? :wink:

I have to say I disagree a little bit , but I'll not make a fuss of it.

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:51 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Hoboken, Belgium
Joansean wrote:
Amarthadan wrote:
Well no, because if I would say Sean gave a correct answer, it would almost be the same as if he would have said: She was someone who appears in a certain book written by J.R.R. Tolkien. :)


So you think that the "Sister of Aldarion" is equivalent to "Someone who appears in a certain book written by J.R.R Tolkien" ? :wink:

I have to say I disagree a little bit , but I'll not make a fuss of it.


Well, I do not say it is the same, but I mean where does it end? :)

Anyway, let DB decide, if he chooses to ask a question, he can, but if he wishes to let you ask a question, so be it. :lol:

Rueben

_________________
"Mickey, my friend!"
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Aye , true enough :)

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:43 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:11 pm
Posts: 1344
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Images: 6
In the 'Books', this was written...
Quote:
"How long is it since Saruman bought you? What was the promised price? When all the men were dead, you were to pick your share of the treasure?...Too long have you watched her under your eyelids and haunted her steps."

1. Who said it :?:
2. Whick book of the trilogy :?:
3. What was the chapter :?:

_________________
There are fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Gandalf , The Two towers , The King of the Golden Hall, Page 147.

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:28 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:11 pm
Posts: 1344
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Images: 6
Correct :!: :)

_________________
There are fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Yay!

My turn now , with a Correct question :wink: :

Who was the Great Captain and why was he called so? :?:

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:06 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:11 pm
Posts: 1344
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Images: 6
Aldarion was the Great Captain, called so, as he sailed from Númenor and established the harbour Vinyalondë in Middle-earth.

_________________
There are fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
DurinsBane wrote:
Aldarion was the Great Captain, called so, as he sailed from Númenor and established the harbour Vinyalondë in Middle-earth.


It's right , but not entirely what am Looking for. He's called Great Captain for something else.

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:53 am
Posts: 651
Location: Rath Celerdain
Because he built huge fleets of ships and planted forests for his shipbuilding?

_________________
"Mustard the Rohirrim! We've got to ketchup with those Uruk-fries before they capture the Hornburger!"
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 760
Nope , not that as well. Think back a few months , when Dorth posted his "Last" question in this thread :wink:

_________________
gaarew wrote:
Just because you know someone's name does not mean that you are their friend...
Top
  Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2945 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 148  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: