All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 am

Post subject: Re: Disney sucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aslong as they stick to the official continuity of the franchise that has been signed into canon by G. Lucas, I will be happy. If they deviate from the expanded universe I have so much love for, I probably won't even bother watching the new films.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bilbo wrote:
I have more faith in Disney getting it right than George Lucas, does anyone remember the dialogue from the Padme/Aniken love scene? Also of particular annoyance is a Jedi Knight answering to the name of Annie!

Why do you think he turned to the dark side?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Aslong as they stick to the official continuity of the franchise that has been signed into canon by G. Lucas, I will be happy. If they deviate from the expanded universe I have so much love for, I probably won't even bother watching the new films.

They have already said it will be a different story arc despite already having hundreds of books which they could use.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
SuicidalMarsbar wrote:

They have already said it will be a different story arc despite already having hundreds of books which they could use.

Yes but they could still be sticking to the official continuity of events, i.e the yuuzhan vong invading, but just tell the events that occurred before, after, or from a different characters pov.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbAu8Le2dYw

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Amarthadan wrote:
Furthermore, Disney was a part of Pirates of the carribean, and hasn't done ANYTHING wrong when it comes to Marvel so far. That and the fact that people were annoyed with whatever chenges happened to star wars, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Disney had anything to do with it.

So yeah, Disney makes strange, perhaps greedy decisions, but they don't 'suck'. Alot of good stuff came from their stables so to speak.

They do suck because they cancelled the best thing currently in the Star Wars stable (disclaimer: I'm not saying every episode or story arc in the Clone Wars was great, and some were definitely annoying).

The original Pirates was *great*, but it's a testament to executive tastelessness that they almost cancelled the original on preview because they didn't understand what Johnny Depp was doing. How clueless can they be? This is my point: execs have no idea about "story" and "character" and what gets people going and keeps them coming back. They can't see "quality". I'm sure they understand theoretically that "quality" = "$$$", but they have no metrics to go by.

Anyway, excepting a few scenes (like Depp in Limbo), the other Pirates were garbage, and the Marvel stuff is hit and miss (mostly miss).

I'm less PO'd about the LucasArts game studio disbanding, I think licensing to other studios is a better way to go, and improves the chance of good storytelling and quality games.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wow, how can you say that the Marvel movies are mostly miss? I thought all of them were great. But the fact that the 2nd through 4th PotC movies sucked was because of there wasn't a good enough story to keep going, even though there was more than enough money. And again, why would company A continue to let company B make money off of a TV show that company A now owns?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
Wow, how can you say that the Marvel movies are mostly miss? I thought all of them were great. But the fact that the 2nd through 4th PotC movies sucked was because of there wasn't a good enough story to keep going, even though there was more than enough money. And again, why would company A continue to let company B make money off of a TV show that company A now owns?

True, although POTC 4 was so light-hearted it was at least silly enough to be justified as a nr. 4.

Furthermore, I do agree with the marvel movies being great. Despite the ridiculously high budgets, there is a lot of love of the directors for those movies, and nowhere was Disney ever cutting down on possibilities or preventing directors to films certain things or choose what direction the films should be going.

A few months ago, Disney banned a band called Machine Head (my favourite band, I'll have you know) from playing somewhere because they would attract a crowd of violence. That is over-the-top ridiculous, and a bad call on their part, but that doesn't mean Disney in it's entirety sucks. It isn't THAT black and white. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The hulk was bad. Avengers was good, as was captain america, and iron man. I can't comment on the others as I haven't seen them yet. (Though they're on my to-see list :wink: )
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

theavenger001 wrote:
The hulk was bad. Avengers was good, as was captain america, and iron man. I can't comment on the others as I haven't seen them yet. (Though they're on my to-see list :wink: )

Granted, The Hulk was bad. (apart from the surprise appearance at the end.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Depends on which Hulk you mean. If you mean The Hulk, then yes, it was terrible. If you mean The Incredible Hulk, then I would say that while it didn't live up to my expectations of a Hulk movie (he wasn't big enough), I would still say it was good. As for Machine Hea, it depends on where it was being played, I highly doubt they would want the writers of "Burn my Eyes" playing for a crowd that generally consists of young kids and parents.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This is all just a matter of opinion and taste of course, but FWIW:
PotC1: awesome, the rest, meh.
Iron man 1: good, almost great; IM2, poor (whips of power? Really? Beyond dumb)
Thor: slightly amusing, but pretty standard Hollywood fare.
Avengers: good, which was expected, but I like Josh Wheatons work, eg Serenity
Captain America: total dud. Serious yawnage. The "how it should have ended video" totally nailed it.

And little of this has to do with the execs making decisions, other than they lucked into getting good directors and actors who love their work.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I haven't seen what you are talking about, but im a hater of disney so i'll jump in this thread ;)

I hate disney because i grew up with the 'disney princess' culture. Ie 'oh my life is so Devlan Mud i will make the best of this situation until a handsome rich man comes along to rescue me' :rollseyes: gave me the wrong message IMHO, make something of your own life instead of sitting around waiting for someone to come & make it better! X

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I hate disney because i grew up with the 'disney princess' culture. Ie 'oh my life is so Devlan Mud i will make the best of this situation until a handsome rich man comes along to rescue me'

It does place ridiculous expectations and inaction in small Girls heads, which is indeed a bad thing! I like it in one of the Shrek films where the captured Princesses "assume the position" taking the Michael out of this exact situation.
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Florien wrote:
I hate disney because i grew up with the 'disney princess' culture.

If that bugs you (as it does me) you must have been pretty annoyed at their "remodelling" of the girl in Brave. I thought it was extremely tasteless of them to do it, it just proves when it comes to female characters they really are about selling sex and fragility. The new model had a waist 1/3rd the size of the original Brave character. I think South Park got it right in episode 1301.

Well, the OP was about the cancellation of The Clone Wars, and I'm slightly mollified by the announcement of the new Star Wars: Rebels for 2014. Dave Filoni is still the lead, which bodes well.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Florien wrote:
my life is so Devlan Mud

Hahaha is this a word filter

And yeah, Disney's relationship with women has always been... problematic, to say the least. Weren't they one of the last companies in America to have a no-women hiring policy?

Mordor-ob bot-tuk