All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 pm

Post subject: Any Reenactors?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey all,

Thinking of me and a couple of mates joining a dark Age reenactment society next year and just wondering, have any of you had any experience with groups before?

Cheers. :)

OERP
 Post subject: Re: Any Reenactors?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just over a year ago I worked with some reenactors to help with my on stage fighting. My uncle pointed me towards these guys, and I went. And I found myself reenacting some fights and doing some more so spontaneous battles.

It was a very enjoyable experience, including the bruises and aches you get after hours of standing around a bit, Wearing some armour, holding swords (not real ones obviously, but it still felt good swinging them at someone) shouting and even riding a horse. It was only a small community, so we could only do smaller encounters at the time. This was only a small dedicated medieval community that don't just do reenactments. They teach archery and swordplay, and such.

But anyway, if I had the chance to do more reenactments and swordplay, I'd happily do so. Especially larger battles. It's great when you've got experienced people who are putting their best into it. There may be some walking, shouting standing around or being battered and playing dead, and it's tiresome work, but it's all in the experience.

If you do have the opportunity, go for it! Look into it too, if you haven't already, as it's not all just fighting like I expected. Sorry for blabbing on a bit too.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Some people take it very seriously - and in a range of historical periods and theatres. In the US more reenactors turned up to one battle than there were soldiers in the original fight!
There is also full-contact medieval combat run as a league internationally - they really do beat hells-bells out of one another. I saw it on TV and there was a succession of people being carted away to first aid then the emergency room with broken bits, cuts, concussion and heat exhaustion (they were in France in high temperatures wearing thick under-padding under full medieval place and chainmail).
I cannot remember which castle this takes place at in England but there is a huge annual festival where it is everything from Romans right up to WW2. A friend said it was bizarre watching Julius Caesar being followed by a tank being followed by the Duke of Wellington....

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the replies!

Dorth, I think I know which programme you are on about, called 'Knight Club', or something like that. And yeh looks like some expletives really goes down at those international tournaments.
Bofur thanks for the insight, I think the group I'm look at (the Northumbria Vikings (part of Vikings-Online) but does all of the early medieval period) is mainly the 'Living History' aspect, but you're right I don't think I'll want to jump into anything too extreme at the moment.
Just something I've always wanted to do so I thought, why not? :P

OERP