All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:52 am

Post subject: Winged Nazgul Flying Stand Problem
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I absolutely love my new Winged Nazgul, but I'm having some problems. All though the ball joint seems like a good idea, offering great versatility in posing in theory, I'm having trouble with it in practice. I can not for the life of me get the Fell Beast to stay in place. Everytime I think he is in place, he slides forward and I have to start again. I've tried using plastic glue, and then plastic glue together but it still won't stay. I just can't figure it out. Any advice on how to keep him to stay?

Also, do you guys think it'd be better to paint him before I glue him onto the stand, or after?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I haven't actually seen one in real life but maybe you can gently file the ball joint to make it a little bit rough to provide some friction that will hold it in place while it is stationary but still allow you to reposition it when you want.
As for painting, i think attach it after you paint as then you don't run the risk of getting paint on the clear stand part.

P.S. Me Jealous!!! Me Want Nazgul!!! :-X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have two of them, and what I have discovered is that it is physically impossible to attach them to the ball after you have glued together the body halves.

The halves of the body engulf the whole ball, which means you have to attach them to the ball at the same time as you glue them together. What is more annoying is that you can't attach the wings, neck or tail before you do this. Even afterwards, it can still be fragile. Both of mine have had their stand broken just below the ball which have had to be fixed carefully. IMO, it can be a very frustrating model to deal with.

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that either greenstuff, with a little more yellow part than blue should help, or two-part epoxy glue will do the job. Being an epoxy product, it is quite similar to green stuff but with the added feature of being a liquid when mixed as opposed to a rubbery substance. It's often called araldite and is quite useful for most kinds of plastic.

Hope that helps.

PS. I want one too!!!! :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd don't have it myself though I've seen it unassembled. I would suggest gluing half of it to the ball first, with super glue or maybe greenstuff. After it has set put glue on the ball and one of the halves and then attach the other half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This sounds suspiciously like problems I encountered (ahem) many years ago in the days before Middle-earth while building aircraft kits. And there is no effective solution folks, as the mini (well, biggie) is heavier than the thin little support that is supposed to keep it aloft.
Maybe someone will have an inspired idea for overcoming the issue. Please... :sad:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Many years ago now I had a model Spitfire, long since lost now unfortunately, that had an ingenious mounting mechanism. Not sure if it's possible with the winged Nazgul but the way it worked was that in the base was mounted a large magnet whilst a smaller magnet was inside the fuselage. The plane was attached to the base with fine fishing line or similar "invisible" string and the opposition of the magnets kept the plane aloft. You could change the way the plane looked in flight but adjusting the length on the lines. It actually looked like it was flying at a suitable distance, you had to get pretty close to see the lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I already have completely finished with the assembly, so I doubt I can seperate any of the parts without substantial damage to the miniature. So, what in your guys opinions is the best way to attempt to get the miniature onto the flying stand now? Now that he's assembled should I go ahead and paint him before I figure out a way to get him onto the stand? I'm very hesitant to do so if it proves next to impossible to do so, as I would rather not put in very large amounts of my time painting the model, if he'll never be able to get onto his base. This is all very frustrating. :sad:

Edit: The ball joint just snapped off. On the positive side, it is a lot more stable without the ball joint and the thin piece of the stand at the top. On the negative side, he's a lot lower to the ground then he should be. I think I'll do my best to model him as if he's swooping down on some enemies. I'm just very frustrated with GW about this kit, the flying stand is just absolutely ridiculous. :-X

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just built mine with the ball joint inside the model, so that the the ball is resting against the top wall (back) of the fell beast. I used a bunch of green stuff. He only sits about 3/4" or so lower on the stand, which is fine I think, and he's a lot sturdier than it would be moving around on the ball joint. In fact, it's pretty rock solid. I will just wrap drafting tape around the stand when it comes time to paint it, no prob.

Check out an image of him finished in my gallery.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the help. The ball joint snapped off fairly low, leaving my Fell Beast preatty low to the ground. Hopefully I can pull off the illusion that he's swooping down on a Gondorian though! :)

The flying stand really has been a major pain to work with, which is a shame as the miniature itself is fantastic... :x

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Flying stands are always tricky. I'll never forget the woes my friend had with his tyranid gargoyles. . .
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The local GW store ended up cutting off the ball joint.

My advise is to use a brass rod. Local hobby shops near me have them, but I do not know how common they are in other areas. I suppose an old wire coat hanger could work in a pinch.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Does anyone else have experience with this model? Would they recommend it over the old fell beast, or is it too tricky/unstable?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Finli O'Tengo wrote:
Does anyone else have experience with this model? Would they recommend it over the old fell beast, or is it too tricky/unstable?

Although I did have trouble at first, it's perfectly stable now. I had to glue mine further down the flying stand, lower to the ground, since the ball joint snapped off. It now looks unique and is more stable too! I would recommend the model. Although it can be a bother to deal with the flying stand, the model makes up for it many times over. It's a truly stunning model really.

Bilbo