All times are UTC

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:23 pm

Post subject: Giant Spider Conversion
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm getting a couple of giant spiders and while the sculpts aren't bad they are a little static. I'm looking for ideas on how to convert them. It would be very helpful if those who have converted GW's giant spiders posted a couple pictures of what they did.
I several months ago I saw a post with several converted giant spiders and a spider queen, if I'm correct one of the spiders was such that it looked like it was coming out of the base. I've searched for it but haven't found it so if someone knows where it is that would also be very helpful.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't have any pics but if you happen to have White Dwarf 319 July 2006 (well, that's the U.K issue) it has a few converted Giant Spiders and a converted Spider Queen. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Giant Spiders can be easily made more exciting with some basic leg positioning. Just look at some still photos of real spiders walking, stalking or in a defensive (arms up) position and duplicate it. Be careful because the legs do break easily if moved too far or too fast (voice of experience :rofl: ). Plus they will have a tendency to bend everywhere EXCEPT on a joint. :?

Making one look like it's coming out of a hole is simply a matter of cutting it appropriately, building up a small mound of GS on the base with a hole in place, and mounting the front of the spider. Again, just try Google. Here's a cool one: http://people.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~ubcg60a/malaysia/trapdoorSpider1.jpg

For a Spider Queen conversion I like the effect of mixing the Queen with Shelob. I'm about 50% of the way thru the version that puts the back of the Queen on the front of Shelob. I started this one first because I like the head of the Shelob model far more than the SQ model, and the work to get the legs right seems far less involved. After the initial cut and a three-wire join between the two parts I built up the join with GS. I still need to do the surface sculpt of GS now to blend the two parts together and then attach the legs, but I think it will look pretty good. I saw this done on GW's site initially and really liked the effect.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What is really effective is, you SLOWLY bend the front legs into that quintessential "attack" pose, if that makes any sense. :roll: What I mean is that the two front legs should be high in the air, and the two legs behind them are
Then reposition the back legs and abdomen so that the spider is facing upwards.

Like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you very much for your ideas. Thank you very much Beowulf for the tip about bending their legs and Elros for the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I played against a wotr army only made of Giant spiders, Shelob, Spider queen, and druzag. The guy I was playing was the gw manager and he had made a lot of nice conversions, but I don't have any pics, soz.