All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm

Post subject: What Colours to use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So i'm planning what im gonna buy, i'd like to keep it as low as possible as i am starting and not sure if this is the game/hobby for me. Planning to get Gondor (warriors, citadel guard, and osgiliath vets)
I plan on getting either M base or S base for first brush.
For paints i plan on getting
LeadBelcher
Ironbreaker
Ratskin Flesh
Balthaser Gold
for brown(bow) and black ill just be getting from the dollarstore probs:P

Would these colours look weird together? i have no idea how this would look like to be honest.
 Post subject: Re: What Colours to use?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't know how much you plan to spend, or if you are 100% convinced that you need citadel paints, but might I suggest the following:

From GW:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ci ... t-Set-2015

From Coat d' Arms (my personal favorite):
http://www.blackhat.co.uk/coat-darms/paint-sets/

From Reaper:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/PaintSets/latest

From Army Painter (another great manufacturer):
http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products ... Set%202017
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks jdizzy001!:)
i'll buy the gw base set as there is a GW store not too far away and the others also seem to be UK stores.
Then ill buy Citadel guard with bows or Osgiliath Vets to test painting.
Would i have to buy the bases separately if i buy 1 of these 2 sets?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All blisters and box sets come with bases.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The bases for the minis? GW includes mini bases with your purchase. Or do you mean brushes?

Also, Reaper is a US store, Army painter is uk, and though black hat is also a uk store, coat d arms can be purchased via the US retailer scale creep miniatures. Good luck!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i meant bases because when i looked up some images on google it didn't seem like the blisters had bases.
ty all for answering!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So i FINALLY ordered and picked up my order(base paint and citadel guard archers), and i feel great now! :D However, i noticed that were bits and pieces of metal here and there, should it be like that and should i just pull the little bits off?? also one of the minis don't seem to fit in the base and there's a bit of metal sticking out under the feet where the name is, what should i use to get rid of it? unfortunately i don't really know how to post pictures on here yet.

edit: i've also hear that your supposed to wash the minis?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beregrew wrote:
So i FINALLY ordered and picked up my order(base paint and citadel guard archers), and i feel great now! :D However, i noticed that were bits and pieces of metal here and there, should it be like that and should i just pull the little bits off?? also one of the minis don't seem to fit in the base and there's a bit of metal sticking out under the feet where the name is, what should i use to get rid of it? unfortunately i don't really know how to post pictures on here yet.

edit: i've also hear that your supposed to wash the minis?

It's normal that most metal models have little metal bits sticking out when you buy them. Usually on the bottom of cloaks or at the end of boots. Just cut them off with a hobby knive.

I haven't really heard about washing the models before starting. I personally don't do that myself but a very important thing is to prime metal models using a special primer paint.

Just a normal base paint won't do. You really need a 'Primer' for it since a primer is special paint to stick better onto the metal. I always the technical citadel paint for that 'Imperial Primer'. It might look like the basic black paint, but it's not. I would not underestimate the power of priming since when I just started and didn't prime yet I just used base paints. All those models show little metallic areas now since the paint just lets go after picking them up too often.

As for the basing; just use a knive to remove some exces metal to make them fit. That's also perfectly normal. ;-)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Do you really use a specific paint for the undercoat?

I've not used my Chaos Black Spray on metal yet, but I read on the GW website :

Chaos Black Spray is designed for basecoating plastic, resin and metal Citadel miniatures. Reformulated for maximum results, with a fantastic black colour, it's a fast way to get a uniform base of colour onto models.

This is an ideal spray for basecoating any miniature in black, quickly and with minimal fuss.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey largonien - below is a link to a previous thread on this site about priming mini's before painting...lots of good posts that I think you should find to be very helpful....

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31274

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, citadel minis come with little metal "strings" on them. This is called flash. Trim it off.

Yes, you should clean your minis before painting them. Before casting a mini a "grease" is used on the mold which allows the mini to be removed easily. Upon completion of cadting some residual anti stick remains on the mini. Good old dish soap, water and an old toothbrush will clean the mini right up. Failure to do so will result in a paint job which flakes off easily.

Undercoat, this is hotly debated (to prime or not to prime). I used krylon spray primer and dont have a problem. This also saves me nearly $14 per can. (Krylon costs $4-$7 dollars and gw spray paint costs $20 a can).

Also, when you finish, spray your mini with a clear sealant. Again, krylon has both gloss and matte. In all honesty, I rcommend (for minis which will be used heavily) a coat or two of glossy finish followed by testers dullcote or gw's 'ardcoat. The gloss will protect your paint job and the dullcote with kill the shiny gloss from the gloss coat.

Alternatively, a regular matte coat will protect your paint job as well, all my minisfrom seven years ago are still flake free.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was originally thinking of using some dollarstore/craft black paints for priming but i guess that won't work or is it just much slower? If it doesn't work ill try looking for some spray paints i guess at a walmart, though i live in CA and not sure if they will sell.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is spray paint not available in CA? If spray paint isnt an option, one could purchase a pot of undercoat from gw and use brush on primer.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

They probably do, but i wouldn't be surprised if it is a much higher price. Not sure where to buy though, never paid attention to painting, etc until now. would the difference be great if i use some simple dollar store paint? just wondering though i will look for some spray paints
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wal mart, Home depot, Lowe's, a craft store. Krylon paints are very common in the states.