All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am

Post subject: How could I improve this figure? :sauron:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here are 2 photos, one is with flash, 1 is without. Oh, it says the file is too big. The photos are in this Google drive. It does not show in the photo but the armour, the chain mail, the robe and weapon look quite different but still very effective. :sauron: :sauron: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... HlKU0pNeE0

The photos
 Post subject: Re: How could I improve this figure? :sauron:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You could try adding more of an extreme edge highlight to the amour plating and increasing the shading in the crevices. This could help the model pop out a bit more, or maybe adding a brass colour to some parts might be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Deeper shadows, and brighter highlights. Also, consider adding a dark blue and black mix to the cape. Otherwise it will blend too much with the armor. Alternatively, you could add a wash of color to sauron's armor and highlight back up.

The biggest issue I see with the model is that you have a lot of greys and blacks causing the color to appear too similar. This makes Sauron appear like a big grey blob (not an insult, just honest feedback).

If you want to add some more variety, you could freehand something on his cloak.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wash the chainmail with agrax earthshade and seraphim sepia, then drybrush with ironbreaker.

Layer the armour with leadbelcher, leaving the wash you have already applied only in the recesses. Then edge highlight with ironbreaker.

The cloak needs to be a different tint of black from the rest of the model, so I suggest mixing in some very dark blue with a dark grey and layering that on as a highlight, mixing in more of the dark blue for successive highlights.

The biggest difference will be completing the base. I suggest a brown base scheme to avoid the grey blob that jdizzy mentioned.

Also, satin varnish tends to really help with defining contrast, and hiding small mistakes, so I suggest a couple of light coats of vallejo satin spray varnish, or an equivalent.
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It looks pretty good already. But some more shine would be nice.