All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 am

Post subject: Spray Paint Mistake
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

After spending ages prepping my LOTR models, I just went out to the shed to go undercoat them with the grey spray paint I got from GW.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ci ... ndard-Grey

Well, apparently, the non black and white colours that GW have are not actually primers like the Army Painter or other brand ones are, even though they are presented in the same manner.

They are still meant to be sprayed over primer.

So now I have 10 infantry and 6 cavalry which look ok to the naked eye but I'm googling and getting mixed answers from people who say it will peel and others saying it's fine.

The plastic and resin models are not so bad, it seems to be sticking to them, but the metal ones are not working at all.

Urgh. Any suggestions what to do? If I have to strip these or rebase them or something I will cry.

I have some paint on Vallejo Surface Primer in Grey and Black, but if I paint that over these models I'm guessing it'll still flake off? So dispiriting.
 Post subject: Re: Spray Paint Mistake
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I actually don't spray mine much anymore (living in England the temperatures not normally the best) and I use the Citadel paint on primer which isn't the best as it's quite watery after not shaking up for a while but IMO it's better than nothing and I find that the paint sticks perfectly to Plastic and Resin an ice never had a single chip with them but metals I always give a few coats of Purity Seal Spray because with metal even lying them down on my desk for a few minutes would wear away some paint so personally I wouldn't worry about the Plastics and Resins but Metals I'd either give them a spray of Primer or put a varnish on after you've painted them. I've never experienced what you have but I hope I was if help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I spray my minis all day long and have been doing it for 7 years. As long as you washed your minis with soap and water before spraying them, you will be fine.

When you finish painting be sure to seal your minis with a clear, matte finish. This will extend the life of the paint. No matter how you prepare the minis, the paint will eventually peel off and require a touch up. It is a part of the hobby.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I always us Vallejo brush on primer as it covers better and it is not so thick. I only use coloured primers for large monsters or vehicles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies.

I always wash my minis, whatever the material, with warm water and soap before working on them.

After leaving them for 24 hours - the paint seems to be adhering as well as primer to the models, especially the plastic and resin ones.

I think I might strip the metal knights on foot as there's only 5 of them. I'm considering buying a matt white Army Painter spray. My Dol Amroth guys are all going to be on pale stone bases and will be blue, white and pale metal so lighter colours makes sense.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lothíriel wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I always wash my minis, whatever the material, with warm water and soap before working on them.

After leaving them for 24 hours - the paint seems to be adhering as well as primer to the models, especially the plastic and resin ones.

I think I might strip the metal knights on foot as there's only 5 of them. I'm considering buying a matt white Army Painter spray. My Dol Amroth guys are all going to be on pale stone bases and will be blue, white and pale metal so lighter colours makes sense.

I use the army painter sprays as well as humbrol and never had a problem with them

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have used official GW spray, krylon and rustoleum. Brands of paint. GW was the best but at $20 usd per container I couldn't sustain it. Rustoleum left a rough surface over my minis and tore up my brush and krylon, for $7 a bottle has served me well. The coverage leaves a bit to be desired but it works!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Walmart flat black spray paint is the best primer you can buy. Cost is 97 cents a can. Perfect even, thin coats every time.

Try it.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Even GW seem to think using their spray paints over unprimed plastic is ok , but I would always prime first. As for Army painter basecoat / primers have used them as time savers on others projects but never on any SBG minis. Part of that because Army painters paints appear to bond chemically with plastic, which can cause a real mess if you try to strip them. Not so sure about using it over metal. Velljo brush on primer I find quite poor and only use it to touch up minis. My prefered brush on is AP (grey)and imperial primer (black). imperial primer does appr to go off after about a year but that a small price to be able to prime in my preferred colour in winter.

for spray cans Chaos black and the new white are quite good.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I prime strictly with a spray can. I hate priming by hand. It takes too much time, but to each his/her own.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Demonsbane: Oh wow, you've found the Vallejo brush on primer to not be so good? I've been using it for most of my projects for a while now. Do you really think the Imperial Primer is better? I have a shopping basket of odds and ends on the Element games site, was uhming and ahing about chucking in the grey Army Painter brush on primer.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Saying that I only use Vallejo black brush on primer and have done for years with not problems. I did try a white brush on primer but it went on too thin and required too many coats so now if I have to undercoat white I use Army painter spray.