All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 am

Post subject: Captain of Rohan models
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out how many official unnamed Captain of Rohan models there have been. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

-Captain on foot with axe raised: big battalion boxed set
-Captain foot and mounted with "Sutton Hoo" type helmet: ft & mtd blister
-Captain on foot killing an Orc: Commanders boxed set

Were there more than these? Obviously the named Heroes are more potent, but I have an awful lot of Rohirrim (60 cavalry and 60-70 infantry) so I'm going to need a few regular Captains in addition to them.

Also, Hama was never released on a horse right?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Captain of Rohan models
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Correct on all counts I believe - those are the Captains and Hama was only released on foot (two versions), never mounted.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Correct on all counts I believe - those are the Captains and Hama was only released on foot (two versions), never mounted.

quite right, these were the only ones - there was also an unreleased version of a mounted gamling without the banner of rohan / fist & arm raised.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alright, what are some suggestions as to conversions you guys have done to make some more stand out Captain models? So far I've got a couple:

Ranger of the North with Rohirrim axe and throwing spear replacing his bow and spear, respectively, and a Rohirrim shield slung across his back.

Mounted RRG with Damrod's head to use as Elfhelm.

Rohan Commanders King's Huntsman converted to have a sword and shield (the KH is not very good and can't lead troops)

I've picked a couple of names out from the text to call some of my Captains, but the only one that would dictate the looks of the character is Deorwine, the Captain of Theoden's Guard who should probably have RRG armour. If only the mounted Gamling without banner had been released then I might have a good base model. Does the Gamling with banner have a separate arm?

I'm having trouble figuring out more mounted conversions though. I've got the foot & mounted captain.

RRG have the shield sculpted on so they look static and too similar.

Sons of Eorl only have 2 poses and I'm using 12 of them in my army anyway. Plus regular Captains don't have the armoured horse option.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The mounted Gamling has the banner arm as part of his body I think, just a seperate half of the horse with his other leg attached.

As for other possibilites for mounted captains: Erkenbrand with a throwing spear, normal shield and headswap would probably look different enough not to be confused with Erkenbrand anymore. Eowyn should similarly work.
Then there are the Outriders; assuming you are not looking for captains with bows the one shielding his eyes from the sun may show some promise if the bow is removed, covering up the area with a shield (perhaps a throwing spear). Somewhat more outside the box, Thrydan could work (similar armour, but very wolf-fur heavy). Thought of Bard or some of the Nazgul too, but those have a bit too much cloth and not enough armour.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sculpting is by no means my strong suit, but those suggestions do sound promising thank you!

Similar to the Sons, my full force will include 8 Outriders so I'd rather not "double dip" there without being able to make the Captain one suitably different.

Frustrating about Gamling, but I'm glad I asked before just ordering him!

On to some scouring of the GW site, I think... I've got 3 mounted Captains to do up and not too many models still in print to do it with!