All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Post subject: Hero Basing Inquiry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello,

My extensive SBG collection is entirely LotR, with no Hobbit movie minis in my collection. I have collections of many armies, much of which is already assembled using the included, slotted 20mm bases of the day. I am at a stage where I am working on my named ringwraits, and I experimented with the idea of placing them on the newer 25mm bases, and I must say that I really like the look for heroes. This leads me to my inquiry - would it be unadvisable for any reason to base my heroes on 25m bases, leaving all of my warrior troops on the old slotted bases? There is also the consideration of the extra cost of needing yet ANOTHER 100 bag of 25m bases (I have already re-based a lot of Chaos (and Loyal) Space Marines for 8th Ed.) I know this could lead to one more mini getting into base contact with my heroes in melee, but other than that, is this idea dumb? Am I over-thinking things? Do players seem to really care about 5 more mm of diameter? Should I go ahead and plan on going to 25mm for everybody now, assuming that will be the move as we make our way to MESBG?

Thanks in advance for the input of the hive mind!

Troszkowsky
 Post subject: Re: Hero Basing Inquiry
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As far as I am aware, LotR has always been n 25mm bases. Do you mean 32mm new bases? So new space marine size bases?
As to the other half of your question it depends who you vs. A lot of casuals and friends might not mind but tournaments definitely will. It might advantage you in a select few instances but generally I see I being a massive hindrance. A lot of people hate bigger bases as that means more opportunity to be swamped by enemy models. Instead of being trapped by 6 models perhaps now it's 10 or 12
 Post subject: Re: Hero Basing Inquiry
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:oops: That is what I meant. Sorry.

And noted! Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the confusion. I will stick to basing them to my advantage, and not go wild with 32m hero bases.

Troszkowsky