All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 am

Post subject: alternate Mûmak tusks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey there,
For some time I was wondering about some pictures of our not-so-gentle-giants: the Mûmakil, especially their tusks. In some pictures of studio Mûmaks they don't have the regular unmodified tusks that come with the original sprue but ones where a pair of broken tusks were tied on top of the Oliphants naturally grown ones.
I'm not talking about the FW ones with the spikes, and first I thought this was a really nice conversion done on one of them.
Here is a picture of one:

But then I noticed that there was more than one model with this change and in particuar these double tusks were identical on all modified Mûmaks. I mean even the rope that connected them had the exact same structure. This leads me to believe that these are not individual conversions but casted bits, maybe some unreleased alternate tusks that didn't make it into the final sprues of the boxed sets we got now, which only contains one pair of blank tusks. Or did the Mûmak box set contain a differnt sprue with alternate tusks at some point?
Does anybody know something about that?
I'm really curious when it comes to miniature background stories and how they may have changed in the development process or afterwards, got conversions/chnages or have never made it to release for some reason. :)

P.S.: On the front page of the 'Best of White Dwarf: Return of the King' you have 2 Mûmaks and both have the exact same double-tusks. This picture is a bit too blurry to see the details but on the copy I got at home you can clearly see side by side that they are the same and not individually sculpted with GS or whatever:
 Post subject: Re: alternate Mûmak tusks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You asked this on Reddit, didn't you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MiddleEarthMin ... like_this/

My bet is that it was a gw in-house version when LOTR was big (like the dead Mumak) for display at Warhammer World or some of their stores.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

No, I don't even have a Reddit account. I found that image when looking through Google pictures.
But thanks for the reply!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Photoshop was heavily utilised by Games Workshop during that era, so it may just be the same model layered into the pic at a different angle.