All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 pm

Post subject: New Guy Looking for Advice, Ideas, and Friendly Words
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello All,
First of all I'm thrilled to have made an account on here so I can talk about LOTR/Hobbit SBG and not receive blank stares or maybe attempted but clueless input about the game. I'm not new to the hobby, I first started playing and collecting some 8 years ago, but am newly serious about the hobby. Seeing as I'm only 20 now, at 12 I only had a few friends to play with, and we often lacked the patience to finish games, let alone be super serious about strategy, tactics, etc. I had a lapse in dedication as my group of friends lost interest and I had fewer and fewer people willing to participate in the hobby. I've now recently dove back into the hobby big time though and I'm hoping that this site helps to find interest outside of my own.

Unfortunately my current local doesn't lend itself to easy access to fellow gamers, but if anybody is in Northern California and has interest in playing, please send me a hello.
Regarding my skills, my painting has dramatically improved since I've started back into the hobby, but I never really did much basing or terrain building when I used to play, so I've yet to see great results come from my efforts in those regards. Additionally, I've attempted a couple conversions, but they are definitely found wanting for the most part. For these reasons, any tips, basic or other, along these lines would be greatly appreciated from the public.
 Post subject: Re: New Guy Looking for Advice, Ideas, and Friendly Words
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to the One Ring. I don't play the game and I'm a touch far away, but I can help on the hobby side. If you set up a WIP thread we can have a look at your work.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hello and welcome! I have no idea if there are members of this forum in your area, but you'll find lots of US members, as well as general encouragement and advice from all over.

Gandlaf has it right- start a WIP thread, post up some pictures of your stuff and any speficic things you are looking for advice on, and you'll find more than a few members will be happy to provide feedback. This is a great place for the creative as well as the rules side of the hobby.

Nice to meet you!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Check this thread mate and give some of those nearby a PM, its quite old but i'm sure some of em will be still active. :)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3428

If you've got a GW nearby i'm sure there'll be some there aswell, just speak to the manager about it.

Welcome to the One Ring! :P

OERP
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
If you set up a WIP thread we can have a look at your work.

+
mertaal wrote:
Gandlaf has it right- start a WIP thread, post up some pictures of your stuff and any speficic things you are looking for advice on, and you'll find more than a few members will be happy to provide feedback.

Thank you. I'm still getting the hang of this site, but I just submitted a post for review in the WIP forum waiting for review. Hopefully that will get some hits and I can post more pictures after that is posted.

Thanks to all for the friendly hello.

Highlordell wrote:
Check this thread mate and give some of those nearby a PM, its quite old but i'm sure some of em will be still active. :)

http://one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3428

If you've got a GW nearby i'm sure there'll be some there aswell, just speak to the manager about it.

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to PM a couple members from there. I'm somewhat new to this area, but I have investigated enough to unfortunately say there is no games workshop retail store close by, but there is a "North Coast Roleplaying" store that supposedly has GW merchandise. I'll soon scope it out and inquire if there are any fellow LOTR/Hobbit SBG players.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Welcome back into the fold.
I lived in Redding some time ago and can relate to the isolation.
Posting a WIP is a great suggestion for feedback on your talents/.skills.
Looking forward to seeing you around ( the forum that is ).