All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm

Post subject: It's been a while....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just over 5 years since I posted in these forums.

I've recently gotten the itch again for lotr sbg after this long hiatus. A lot of this has been down to watching various GBHL Youtube videos so thanks guys!

Much has changed! I don't even know where to start. I have heaps of unpainted miniatures but no fresh paint, anyone know where I can pick up a set of citadel paints or does anyone use alternative paints?
 Post subject: Re: It's been a while....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I recommend getting a set of Vallejo paints. The "Game Color" range matches very closely to GW's Citadel range.

Vallejo paint is just as high quality for a fraction of the price of GW's. The eyedropper paint containers are also a great feature over the GW pots, and have a lot more paint per container.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
We order all our paints from the GW online webstore.

There are several other alternative ranges, Vallejo, Army Painter, Scale 75, etc. All have there pros and cons for varying prices. We use the Citadel paint range, which has a wide and comprehensive selection, and we have always been satisfied. We think though that for the best results you could choose the best from all ranges. Some people complain about Citadel pots, but in our experience, if you keep the bottles shut tight and maybe drop some ball bearings in to help mixing, they last for years. And the paint is naturally rather thick inside, so you have to water it down, which means the bottles give a lot more paint than you'd expect.

Hope that helps,

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Turgon_Seven wrote:
I recommend getting a set of Vallejo paints. The "Game Color" range matches very closely to GW's Citadel range.

Vallejo paint is just as high quality for a fraction of the price of GW's. The eyedropper paint containers are also a great feature over the GW pots, and have a lot more paint per container.

I have heard good reports about them, thanks for the info. The GW paints seem to be very pricey in comparison (what's new lol).

Elladan & Elrohir wrote:
We order all our paints from the GW online webstore.

There are several other alternative ranges, Vallejo, Army Painter, Scale 75, etc. All have there pros and cons for varying prices. We use the Citadel paint range, which has a wide and comprehensive selection, and we have always been satisfied. We think though that for the best results you could choose the best from all ranges. Some people complain about Citadel pots, but in our experience, if you keep the bottles shut tight and maybe drop some ball bearings in to help mixing, they last for years. And the paint is naturally rather thick inside, so you have to water it down, which means the bottles give a lot more paint than you'd expect.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll have to look into each of them and decide which best suits my needs.
I always liked the Citadel range in the past, didn't have many problems with them. Decisions, decisions ;)