All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: WotR (or SBG) players in Greater Manchester?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I used to live and play in Manchester between 2004 and 2008. Is Paul Evans still the manager of the Arndale store? We used to have a great thursday night with about 6-8 of us there every week. Those were the days...

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Having time and turn limits aren't the problem, it's that at that points level, you should be playing War of the Ring because it's just too slow to enjoy, otherwise.

Nearly 50 models to move, not including magic, then your opponent does the same? Takes a long time. Then shooting with a 15-17, ne at a time, then your opponent does the same and then any combats... It takes too long to see anything happen.

Shooting one at a time? What game are you playing? Roll all 15, pick up hits, roll to wound. Takes less than 30 seconds if you're shooting at targets of the same defence. 50 models moving with 2 hands mean 25 moves, it won't take more than 5 minutes for me even if I'm stuck thinking of tactics. Either you or your opponents play at a snail speed. If two players know what they're doing I've never had a problem playing 700 or 1000 points game on a 90 minute limit. In fact, last week I did a 1750 game in 130. 2 hours are long enough for a 1k game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Hashut, Ste, Thermo, sorry about delay, not forgotten you just been too busy. can't come tonight I'm afraid. Looking unlikely for next week too, just gotten a mountain of stuff for upcoming assignments.

@BlackMist, Arndale as in Bolton Arndale? If so, no, there are only two employees left. Ryan Waite and Duncan Aitchinson.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
@Hashut, Ste, Thermo, sorry about delay, not forgotten you just been too busy. can't come tonight I'm afraid. Looking unlikely for next week too, just gotten a mountain of stuff for upcoming assignments.

@BlackMist, Arndale as in Bolton Arndale? If so, no, there are only two employees left. Ryan Waite and Duncan Aitchinson.

Shame you couldn't make it buddy, it was an interesting one!

Great to meet and play alongside Ste tonight against Hashut... I'll try not to give anything away, it's his turn to battle report this week!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ste: Sorry, didn't see that list and wasn't all that helpful in terms of tactics this week (as will be explained in battle report).

BlackMist: That's fine for Warhammer/40k where you shoot a unit/squad - in SBg, the model you wound can be very important. Who chooses which of your successful shots kills? If it's you, how is that fair to your opponent when you are supposed to roll one at a time (as per the rules) and use target priority? If it's them, how i it fair to you they remove the ones that are least tactically important to you? It's a case of the models that get removed are important because it can affect where your next shot goes...

Gothmog - No worries, we all get busy sometime and I'll be in wales next week anyhow. Hope to see you the week after!

Thermo: I'll get it up ASAP, but I have more pictures to choose from than you, lol :P

I assume you mean the one in the Arndale Centre - never liked the guy you're referring to for reasons I won't post on the Internet as it's defamation of character.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
BlackMist: That's fine for Warhammer/40k where you shoot a unit/squad - in SBg, the model you wound can be very important. Who chooses which of your successful shots kills? If it's you, how is that fair to your opponent when you are supposed to roll one at a time (as per the rules) and use target priority? If it's them, how i it fair to you they remove the ones that are least tactically important to you? It's a case of the models that get removed are important because it can affect where your next shot goes...

When we play, unless specifying a specific target, we just shoot at a group of troops and say that the nearest ones die because they would be at the front of the line of fire.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

BTW, when will the battle report be up?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Enjoyed last night was good fun, my knowledge is a little rusty but Hash knows his onions! Both Hash and Thermo are good lads and enthusiasm is not lacking, can see this night catching on if we get a few more interested.....

The wife wasnt to impressed about the hour I rolled in so will have to be on my best behaviour to get brownie points for next week.

Looking forward to the report mate.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Ste: Sorry, didn't see that list and wasn't all that helpful in terms of tactics this week (as will be explained in battle report).

Haha you were definitely different this week! It won't give anything away but I could see your more competative side showing through :P

Quote:
Gothmog - No worries, we all get busy sometime and I'll be in wales next week anyhow. Hope to see you the week after!

Yup, whenever you can make it Gothmog, we're here :) look forward to meeting you!

Quote:
Enjoyed last night was good fun, my knowledge is a little rusty but Hash knows his onions! Both Hash and Thermo are good lads and enthusiasm is not lacking, can see this night catching on if we get a few more interested.....

Thanks mate! I have to make up with enthusiasm where I'm lacking in skill! Glad that was obvious :rofl:

Great to meet you and again, we had fun which is the key thing. If we keep having fun I can imagine getting the kids hooked :twisted:

Quote:
The wife wasnt to impressed about the hour I rolled in so will have to be on my best behaviour to get brownie points for next week.

Mine neither :oops: but one night a week, surely is earned with all we do in return... isn't it? :o

Quote:
Looking forward to the report mate.

Me too, pressure is on Hashut! Don't forget to mention fight value :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The world awaits last night's battle report with much anticipation! The sun has set Hashut :twisted: haha

By the way, any of you guys interested in the new Eagles? I really like them but wouldn't need two... anybody want to go halves?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

LordElrond: I often shoot THROUGH models to get the spear support behind though. Again, it's about target priority and choosing your kills.

Battle report should go up before dawn tomorrow, lol. Basically, I was a little sleepy (actually, I was very tired from my new job and a bad night's sleep - hence the slightly less tactically-helpful manner I played in, lol. As well as an opinion on my army that the battle report will reveal!), then woke up and went straight to work today - just got in and got some admin stuff and applications to do and then I'll crack on with it.

ste: Too kind man, but clearly I got my jumps and leaps confused ^^

Thermo: See above comment regarding competitiveness, lol :D I make up for my lacking skill by pretending I'm distracted with teaching ;) And building confidence ^^

Fight never comes into it. Ever. At all. Especially when fighting.

Not got the money, but would happily trade for one.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haha!

Great report, the pics turned out well (apart from the team photo at the start with the all revealing flash!!)

Shame you ain't there next week, but in a fortnight when you're down, fire me a text at about 5.30pm to remind me to put your Isildur and Elendil in the box to bring!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll text you when I get to work (about 5:15) if that's cool? Ta. Might be best to remind me to bring Halbarad and Arathorn if you're still wanting to sort something out for them?

Glad you enjoyed it - it took me so long to type up (and kept saving it in a Notepad document for safety) that when I clicked post, it had logged me out, lol. Thank goodness I'd saved a Notepad file of the text, eh?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey everyone! With Hashut and Ste unable to make it, wondered if anyone else was able to make it this Thursday?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Determined to keep this run of one game a week up since starting, Knighty will be joining me for a game tomorrow at mine in Stockport.

Anybody else about?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry, was in the thick of it in Wales, lol. Will be kicking about this week though.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey buddy :) Look forward to catching up Thursday, should be a few of us! You, me, Ste and his lad, Knighty, my mate John, Sam Lord will be trying to make it, Knighty was keen too. Hope Gothmog can, this was his thread originally after all!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What're peoples thoughts? 4 one on ones, 2 two on twos, a two on two and 2 one on ones, 3 aside and a one on one, our against four or an all against all?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Say wot!!!! LOL You had me at one on ones!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Week 5 and spoilt for choice :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hahaha, psychological warfare, ste ;) Just like the Hashuty dice of 6s!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next