All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 am

Post subject: Allies for the Grey company
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So ive had a HUGE amount of success with grey company, but now my regular opponents are battle hardened agaisnt me i feel like its necessary to fill in the tactical 'gaps' that grey company have, plus i feel like expanding.

So heres what im thinking. Grey company + Durins folk
-Adds the high defence that grey company lack while mainting F4 throughout, plus dwarves can benefit from ranger spears

19 dwarves - 8 shields, 8 2h, 3 bows
Dwarf captain - shield

Elladan and Elrohir - heavy armoured with horses
5 Rangers of north
20 rangers - 18 spears

Total 700pts

Also im considering Army of the dead, they might not be F4 but still have the high defence but with greater movement, courage and some badass special rules
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think adding the dwarves is a smart choice, they will add a nice little punch to the army.
Seeing how the Grey Company is all bows, I'd take those 3 dwarves with bows and make them 2 handed or shield carriers...no sense in having 3 with bows in my opinion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well the bows were just convienient as to have more axe guys i need to buy another box.

here check this out, i done a Grey company + army of dead list

King of Dead
Elven twins - heavy armour, horses, elf bows
11 warriors of dead
4 rangers of north
16 ranger spearmen

total 700pts, 10 might points, 34 men

I fancied the ghosty folk because of the terror rule and the fact that they strike agaisnt courage, the only thing that gets me is the Fight 4 value of the dead, and that this list is pretty small.

If any of you guys have army of dead experience, how did you find they worked out?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i'm not fond of those ghostly warriors...
well not fond of their king at least. you're spending 100pt on a 1 attack guy, with no might, and no stand fast. bloody awfull. the warriors are ok, but they lack options. so they'd be ideal as a ally option, but then you'll need the point sink that calls himself a king too. a basic uruk can hit as hard as he does. for 90pt less.
this comes down this: they are too expensive to field at this point lvl(or any point lvl for that matter) IMHO, simply because of the 100 wasted points.

all in all i like your previous list better 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hmmm ok then, i agree i think i prefer the dwarves, but i think ill buy a few ghosts as well for when we play larger games
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Phantom_Lord wrote:
i'm not fond of those ghostly warriors...

I am, especcialy when my Wood Elves meet them :yum:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Im also thinking about taking a wizard also, to counter the far too regular apperances of ringwraiths on the other side of the table. I havnt got much in the way of experience with these guys so im having a little difficulty in choosing one.

Radagast looks like great value for points, and has some pretty unique powers which i think would complement grey company really well, but he doesnt have sorcerors blast or command, which are dammned handy.

Gandalf is more of a 'killing' wizard i reckon which is why i favour him, but Grey or White?? I know white is more expensive pointswise but what is it that makes him superior? I dont have a rulebook you see :(

What do you reckon?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Imperator wrote:
Grey or White?? I know white is more expensive pointswise but what is it that makes him superior? I dont have a rulebook you see :(

What do you reckon?

i see that the white knows a spell more then the gray one ... further i don't see any difference.. or not that i see immediately...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

radagast, as cheapest(point wise) of the three is very handy. wat he has that the others don't have: Line of sight to the whole table. if he's in range, you can get him. heal: if you've got a expensive hero that you don't want dead he's your man, and panic steed, quite usefull to unmount the leader of a bunch of cavelry, and so take the sting out of their charge. quite usefull against mumakil too :twisted:

difference between grey and white is spell power. white casts most spells on 1 less (ie 3+ instead of 4+). this does make him a lot more expensive though. i think he has a superior stand fast too

maybe consider saruman(the good one) too. can cast sourcerous blast on 4+ and has a pretty nifty stand fast. no-one in range is going too run for it. he has less spells then gandalf but can cast them on better values for less points. he's my personal favorite. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd go with radagast. His panic steed can get through cavalry quite quickly at only a 2+ but sadly it can't be used on a mumak because of it's stupidity :( . His "elven cloak" keeps him safe from that horrid sap will and your staff is broken if the witch king is fielded. I have also heard that his aura of dismay can be a game changer but I have yet to have the privilege of seeing it in action.