All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:05 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

/bump from the back row...

I am looking to get into the game, and like the Riders of Rohan.
I figured I would pick up the Mines of Moria to get into the game, and pick up the rohan riders, and warriors as suggested in this post.

What should I use for a captain fig?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just a slight reccomendation, if you are going to collect Rohan then I would NOT buy Mines of Moria...unless you plan on collecting Goblins as well at some stage and may use the Fellowship at some point in your games.

In answer to your question...at this stage, as is said above simply use one of the Warriors as a Captain, make a mark under it's base or paint it differently, it doesn't matter,so long as you know that it's the Captain.

Instead of paying the £50 for Mines of Moria you could spend £16.50 on a box of Warriors of Rohan and £15.00 on some Riders of Rohan, like i said, make one of them a Captain and you have a decent force to get started with which you can take in any direction you like.

If you don't have a Rules Manual try and pick a cheap one up off Ebay, look for the smaller one that comes with Mines of Moria, because that will be cheaper and contains most of the profiles you will need.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Piaevo, I figured I'd answer your PM here...but Highlordell pretty much answered your questions. You mentioned in the PM you have the WotR book, but that's not usable for SBG, unfortunately.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you both for the help.
I will try and see if I can find a cheap rulebook.
I thought I might pick up Mines of Moria so I would have a second army to show friends how to play; or be able to play games from the box set. My local store has zero LoTR or WoTR. I would have to give it a go at the GW store in NYC.
Might have to make some new friends. LOL[/spoiler]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Actually...what would be the next thing to try out after the two plastic box sets?

Thanks,
Pia.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you picked up Mines of Moria, then you'll hae the rulebook with it.

As for a start up Rohan army. I guess Rohan is not really good for starters as their tactics are somehow tricky and mistakes unforgiving. but anyway, better start up with all foot warriors for a quick game or two then when basic rules are clear you can replace few warriors with a hero. A minor hero (rohan captain) would be nice for a start, though Rohan is blessed with low cost Heroes like Eowyn too so you can have a choice. later on you can add couple of Riders, or may be add in the riders then the Hero later if you feel it could be more fun.

a starting army could be (Eowyn can replace 2 warriors with B+ 3 warrior with TS):

7x Warriors of Rohan (Sh)
8x Warriors of Rohan (TS)
5x Warriors of Rohan (B)

148pts

you can then replcae all TS with 3 Riders equipped with bows and TS, and add TS to all Warriors with Shields to be (Eowyn can replace 3 warriors with B+ 1 Warrior with Sh+TS):

7x Warriors of Rohan (Sh+TS)
3x Riders of Rohan (TS)
5x Warriors of Rohan (B)

148pts

also you can replace 1 rider, 2 warrior (Sh+TS), 2 Warriors (b) with Mounted Eowyn.

with time you need to stress on hit and run cavalry tactics which will require using Heroic actions.

couple of useful articles:
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... icle&k=194
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... icle&k=569

Last edited by MuslimRohirrim on Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

funny thing...i just moved...and during the move I seem to have:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers SBG book....

Will that work for the rules?
Or should I pick up something else?

Thanks,
Pia.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Your point about having a second army for your friends, and a way to introduce them to the game is a good one, so the MOM set looks more like a good idea. If you don't have friends who have an army to play against, you have to provide both. The TT rulebook is way out of date, so you'll need a new one anyway. You might want to pick up the MOM set, a blister of goblin captains, and the Rohan models outlined. Then you'll have plenty to work with for a long while.

MuslimRohirrim is right about Rohan, it's a bit tricky to use, but you can always branch into other armies and use the Rohan models as allies. If you wanted to add to both forces, getting some Rohan Royal Guard (foot and mounted) is a good idea, plus a decent hero like Eomer. On the goblin side, adding the Goblin King (Durburz), a Shaman, and some Prowlers will help round out that force, or you could get Sharku and some Warg Riders to help offset the goblin's lack of speed.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Basically what Whafrog has just said will help you alot...it all depends on budget to be honest, if you have enough money then you are good to go with MOM and then some Warriors and Riders.
If money is an issue then you have to compromise I suppose...

Just read what has been said and make sure you don't encounter any problems in the future by spending all your money on little men! :P

OERP