All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm

Post subject: 700 Points Last Alliance Army (SBG)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As I love the earlier ages of Middle Earth and I've finally got my hands on a decent number of Numenorians I thought I'd conjure up a 700 point army list or 2 to aim for with my painting and future purchases.

List 1:
Isildur w/shield
Gil-Galad
Erestor

32 Warriors of Numenor. (16 with shield+spear, 6 with shield and 10 with bow)
9 High Elves with Heavy armour. (3 with shield+spear, 3 with elven blade and 3 with bow)

698 points. 44 models. 7 might.

I like the theme, with a small group of elite elves being aided by the more numerour Numenorians, the army has two deadly combat heroes and Erestor is tricky to kill while offering some added leadership. Numbers seem quite low though and the lack of any cavalry is a concern for me too.

List 2:
Isildur, mounted with shield
Galadriel, Lady of the Galadhrim

36 Warriors of Numenor. (20 with shield+spear, 4 with shield and 12 with bow)
6 Galadhrim Knights (4 with shield, 2 with bow and shield)
3 Guards of the Galadhrim Court

700 points. 47 models. 6 might.

The second list is an attempt to add mobility to the army through cavalry and it also adds more numbers and pike support for the two heroes. Losing a might point is offset by Galadriel's aura and magic though she can be less durable than other combat heroes due to her low strength and defence. It also lose some of the last alliance theme by using Lothlorien rather than High Elves, which is unfortunately unavoidable if you want to add cavalry support to an Army of the High King.

What do you guys think? Should I aim for the first or second list or go for something else incorporating Numenor? Any suggestions that combine the two ideas of theme with some mobility would be greatly appreciated. :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

2nd list is much better, have great cavalry and foot soldiers w/ pikes :)

only problem is that mordor trolls and nazgul will be a huge problem... as you currenty have no effective way to stop them....

so you list is good, but cant handle serious threats...... you may need elendil for anti troll (but not too sure on that) and/or a wizard
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks Shadowswarm.

I'm leaning to the second list too, although the first list would be better able to defeat trolls thanks to Gil-Galad.
Nazgul in general are a worry for both list, what about if I include the wizard Galadriel instead of the fighty one? She could immobilise trolls and duel Nazgul, especially with her free will per turn.

The most annoying problem is that any mounted hero is unable to keep up with the Galadhrim knights, decreasing their effectiveness unless you leave them without might support. Any ideas to help with that?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No one says you have to move the knights 12" you could just move 10" and keep them with Isildur on a horse. And I would suggest taking magic Galadriel instead but I'm not sure, it might not be the best decision. You could always play-test a bit and see how it works.

Hope this was helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mm i third picking Sorcerose Galadriel :rofl:

cause she does offer a great asset to the army, against trolls and etc.

Nazgyl were, are and will be one of the thoughest herose the enemy has to offer, especially when you have Isildur with Ring on your side. Be glad they dont field the Necromancer :lol: but also you can choose not to include the ring if you want to :rofl:

Coming that to the topic, you should play test them , though both are very good, War Aspect is something no one should over look since its the only Special rule that the Good side has that reduces courage :rofl: But I´m the one for the sorcerer 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's really up to you, as fighty G if you are not seeing wraiths, and magicy G if you are.

Quote:
War Aspect is something no one should over look since its the only Special rule that the Good side has that reduces courage

I agree: if combined with Lineage of the Firstborn, Cast Blinding Light and spear support, she is really hard to shoot and gets to pick her charges(barring good luck or Good vs. Good), drastically increasing her survivability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

getting the other galadrial is a great option, although what ShadowMaster said is very true (ive always wanted to try out the mirror thing... although if ur army moves away from it (which is quite likely)....

if you can get the points to work then you could get elendil on a horse (but he is expensive... so him and his army would need playtesting to get it to work well cause of the lower #s) although this probably is too much for this list, i just like him alot :)

the problem is where you use your cavalry, because they will probably be out of range of galadrial for her to help much. so you need to charge an area that doesnt have any trolls.... or else a troll + nazgul combo will still get you (the nazgul will almost certainly be very mobile)...
this problem can be negated if your cavalry hit the enemy close to galadrial (the flanks are a good and easy place for this, and/or try and get the knights right on the other side of their battle line :)

those are the main threats you will face (enemy magic and brute force...)

a side note on the second list, as you know, elven bowmen are amazing, and the knights will probably be moving/fighting (mabye not... more on this later) so no time for shooting. so take away the bows on the knights and get 3elf bowmen and 2sp + sh (of just sh if you can), you can remove a couple of warriors of numenor for this. this way you make full use of those bows and the 2 foot troops can deal with enemy F4 troops and also F5 captains
ALTHOUGH if you plan to have you cavalry hang out behind the shield wall the keep the bows as they will keep up and can shoot over the shield wall
its also still a good idea to get a couple of foot elves (2-3 should really hurt your #s) for enemy captains and elites

gosh im writing so much... and i usually hate writing...