All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 am

Do I start a new army of dwarves or elves?
Dwarves 52%  52%  [ 12 ]
Elves 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Dwarves or Elves
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys-
I was thinking about starting a new army (already have a gondor and rohan), and i've decided id like to be either dwarves or elves. I like that elves are very good with bows cause that's always fun, but then dwarves just seem so awesome that i can't decide... any input would be greatly appreciated!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This all depends on two questions: Is height a priority? And do you like pointy ears?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

IMO if you think of your bowmen as warriors that can shoot before engaging then Dwarves are best.
IMO if you plan on keeping you entire force away from combats and engaging only when you have to, elves are best.

Hope this helps you decide which bowmen are the ones for you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

what type of rohan/ gondor armies do you have?

pick whatever army can ally well with your existing ones

also look at the models themselves, choose the army that looks fun to paint/ easy to paint/ looks better....

elves dont have a whole lot of variety in warriors (although the new galadrim are helping change this), whereas the dwarves have lots of varitety (depending on what army list you look at)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dwarves are great at close-quarters, very doughty and courageous. But they are slow and small. Elves (at least wood elves) are extremely quick but low on armor. But they are absolutely amazing at a range.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I saw that dwarves are winning on the poll by twice as much but I myself am a Rivendell die-hard. Dwarves have more variety of troops and higher defence but elves are faster and have the best ranged attack in the game (save maybe Grey company). Elves cost a bit more points wise but IMO I think Rivendell warriors are so much cooler than dwarf warriors. Iron guard, Khazad guard and vault wardens are also cool and tough, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well thers always the chance to bring in Numenoreans when playing with High elves for vairety

I really couldn´t say which one would be more suitable, but one big factor has to be considered is taht when you purchase dwarves, you can get them in plastic and add a few blisters of herose and your done. But with High elves you get only swordsmen and numenoreans and spearmen are from metal blisters (if you ofc. choose Eregion, Grey Heavens or Rivendell, but with woodelves and lothlorien elves its perfectly fine, though again the lack of variety of troops is disturbing.) :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd go for Dwarves, I've got a good Dwarf army and have found it, in general, to be very succesful. I've also found that other players, including myself, don't like to play against Dwarves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I prefer to battle against Dwarves as they are killebale for me, maybe it has to do with my tactics but I tend to lose to high elves more often... :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
I prefer to battle against Dwarves as they are killebale for me, maybe it has to do with my tactics but I tend to lose to high elves more often... :rofl:

What tactics do you use against Dwarves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I try to split them, and since they don´t have any kind of spear support (apart from the special Vault Warden team) they are relatively easy to best in fights but then again they have a high defence.... It´s not hard for me to "trap ´em" cause I use Spiders and bats and thus I can maneuver around them easily...

I´m not saying that they are weaker, but I do tend to win against them more often... One thing that bothers me the most are elvish herose, with high courage and fighting skill. :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I assume that you use a Dol Guldor army list against Dwarves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is in regards to War of the ring...

Personally i prefer elves, the new Galadhrim lists with some other elf conterparts play really well for me at the moment. My style is rather anoying for most people because i pepper them with so many arrows before they even reach me, but it works for now so ill keep using it lol.

Guardians of Caras Galadhon is a great cavalry buster in my eyes, it very rarly fails me. I also use Gildors Household which give you some nice magic(not the best) to play with and aslong as your 12" or more away from any archers your golden, plus ambushers can be quite mean. Glorfindel is an awesome asset to an elven army aswell, he has saved me quiet a few times, Galadriel is also good, although i cant really comment much on her yet as ive only used her twice in a game. Legolas is awesome!(obv) he took down two Mumaks once, luck of the dice had something to do with it obviously but come on :P. And also the Galadhrim cavalry is very strong, possibly some of the best in the game(possibly being bias there sorry lol). Finally there are some pretty cool fates in the new battlehosts expansion book.

Theres alot more i could say but ive gone on way to much. I have beaten dwarve armies plenty of times, but they are still a force to be reckoned with by far(tough as nails). Hope this helps dude.
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well mostly yes, though sometimes just Mordor, and on very rare occasions some Easterlings or other allies...

But I am talking about SBG just foe clarification...