All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 am

Post subject: New to WOTR - Elves Army
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have been playing Warhammer for a while and recently got into WOTR after trying a game in store. I am planning to collect and Elven army and wanted to plan for 1000 points and build from there. The army I have so far is:

Galadhrim Archers (2 companys)
Galadhrim Knights (3 companys)
High Elf (2 companys)
Haldirs Elves Legendary formation (3 companys)
Ent
Galadriel - protectress of Lothlorien

Total 980 points

I figure each unit will give the opponent something to worry about! Does this list look any good?

Cheers,
Sam
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It looks good to me, however I'm not sure if replacing the ent wiht a few more elves might benefit you more.

I haven't the book to hand and I've forgotten how many points ents are, but you could get a few extra bodies floating about (I'd imagine at least two companies of Wood Elves, which you could also give bows/glaives to eat up some of the spare points).

Having said that, that's because I don't know how effective ents are, lol :D

Otherwise, the list looks fairly solid for 1,000 points. Try to get into defensible terrain if possible, since even orcs can have better frontal armour (I.E. Shields, lol).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would take Haldir as an Epic Hero instead so that he can move around to where he's needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
I would get another ent and Glorfindal(make him your epic hero), and some more calvary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

From what i can see it looks pretty good. You've taken advantage of the elven archery which is exactly what i do :twisted: hehe
Your hand to hand combat will be abit floored though, because you only have two companys of high elves and and all your archers are only D4. It looks like youve tryed to compansate with protctress of lothlorien Galadriel though so thats good (time of the month Galadriel :rofl: ). But if i were you id definatly just keep peppering them with arrows until you have no choice but to fight, maybe use tree slumber with the ent to suprise your opponent when it comes to hand to hand.

All in all i like it, it just seems that it going to suffer when it comes to close combat, but i could be wrong
:rofl:

When your looking to add some new stuff id add Glorfindel without a dout. Legolas is awesome for taking down big things with his crippling shot(which is free) follwed with Epic shot :twisted:
And get more Galladhrim Warriors or High Elves. Im going to use Celeborn soon in my army to give all my Galadhrim Warriors in his formation a fight value of 7, and he also has spells of command which can combo quite well.

So yeah...hope this helps man. Sorry if i went on abit lol
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In response to the above posts:

Haldir is likely better as the Legendary Formation kind at this size because he doesn't have a lot of places to run to, his Epic version has no great rules in this army and he allows you to get a cheaper first company of Galadhrim Archers (with banner and maybe hornblower, I believe) and get them to do an extra shot each with Might spent.

Getting another Ent and more cavalry is all well and good, but not in this size of game. There's no space and no points and they would be destroyed if it was instead of the current list. Also, Glorfindel is a Legendary Formation ;)

The combat won't be too much of a problem because of the amount of shooting, combined with terror. Should be quite a decent defence base, especially if you can get everything into defencive terrain.

Considerations are to switch the Ent for Wood Elf Warbands (cloaks keep them safe until up close, unleash a flurry of throwing knives, charge in with glaives and Terror at full/near full strength) and maybe do the same for the High Elves (purely because of the cost difference. 110 points for 2 companies or 90-100 for 2 companies with lots of extras and only downside being lower defence, compensating for by the cloaks).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice - I am hoping to pull the models together over the next few weeks - today I had a cruel idea! Not very in line with the feel of Lord Of The Rings but with 20 points spare I could have two companys of hobbit militia......pop that out in front to block charges and line of sight for a little bit!!

Can't really see it fits story wise but the idea is amusing!! And if by some miracle they take a few down my opponent wouldn't live it down!!

<evil laughter>

Sam
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

rudders wrote:
Thanks for the advice - I am hoping to pull the models together over the next few weeks - today I had a cruel idea! Not very in line with the feel of Lord Of The Rings but with 20 points spare I could have two companys of hobbit militia......pop that out in front to block charges and line of sight for a little bit!!

Can't really see it fits story wise but the idea is amusing!! And if by some miracle they take a few down my opponent wouldn't live it down!!

Genius...LMAO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As said before, very clever. No harm in tactically using a unit for screening/bait. 12 kills necessary to remove 20 points to get to the real enemy is always nice and they will hopefully trip some of those that they speed bump along the way :D

For fluff: The elves are trying to protect the shire in The Scoruing of the Shire, mayhaps? The Ent could be an Entwife (as, in the films, Merry says that there are some trees near where they live that can talk.... The Entwives were lost, so they may be there?)...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lol about the hobbits.
i would replace the high elves regiments with cohorts. the extra defence can make a huge difference. the only downside is that they cost a lot of money...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

OK - so I am now at:

Galadhrim archers (2)
Galadhrim Knights (3) + hornblower
Haldirs Elves (3) Banner bearer + hornblower
High Elf Cohort (2) + hornblower
Hobbit Militia (3)
Ent
Galadriel, protectress

This is bang on 1000 points. I think it sounds quite fun to have a go with! I have some Galadhrim warriors in. My only painted models are half the fellowship and half a Saruman so I have some way to go!!

Cheers for the advice all!!

Sam
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally, hornblowers suck, lol :P Haldir's Elves come with it, so may as well use it, but the others can be removed and replaced with 2 companies of Hobbit Archers (I believe that they are 15pts a company) or another 3 companies of Hobbit Militia. Alternatively, remove the hornblowers AND hobbits and you have 60 points to spend! Another company of High Elves/Galadhrim and a company of hobbits to amuse, bemuse, annoy and soak incoming fire, lol :D

Looks great ^^ You could always use the Fellowship Hobbits in the formation (or have them as the only ones on a single base, then, when the last of them dies, the whole formation is gone since the last 4 always flee: saves money too :D ) too!

I may have some hobbits (I should do somewhere). I know that I have at least one, if you'd like to trade? (Or take him for now and wait until you have a spare model to trade back.)