All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm

Post subject: Wotr-Gondor 2000
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:51 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

We'll this is a list for gondor. I have some questions about it.

Gondor 2000:
E Boromir 175 w/ Knights
E Aragorn 200 w/ Knights
E Gandalf 200 w/ Wardens
[575]

L 4x Wardens of the Keys 290
[290]

C 6x Warriors of Minas Tirith 150
C 6x Warriors of Minas Tirith 150
C 2x Minas Tirith Archers 60
C 6x Knights of Minas Tirith w/ Shields + Banner Bearer 205
C 6x Knights of Minas Tirith w/ Shields + Banner Bearer 205
C Ent 125
C Ent 125
[1140]
Total: 2005. 200 Models, 2 Monsters, 15 Might +2 Free each turn

I feel like for 2000 pts, i don't have enough might, or... characters. I really only have 3, 4 if you count Hurin (who's w/ the Wardens of the Keys). I like pippin, and faramir as well, but i'm not sure what role to use them in, and whether spending that many points on characters is a good idea, expecially when pippin is 75 points for only 1 might.

The wardens are the center unit, with Minas tirith warriors on both sides. Ents are there to protect flanks, and the knights are for counter-charges and such.

Would it be better to use Men at arms, instead of the Wardens of the keys? or Axemen of Lossarnach? Also, do i need more ranged elements, like a ranger unit or two and/or bolt throwers/trebuchets?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There are two things I'd change in this army. First, I wouldn't take Aragorn and Boromir, simply because it isn't thematic. And second, I wouldn't take the Wardens of the Keys: they're pretty expensive (points wise) and you'd have to make conversions for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Aragorn surved under the Steward Ecthelion II, which is Denethor's father, but Boromir is only 2 years old at the time, so yeah... theres no real way to include both of them.

As for wardens of the keys. Theres no way to make that thematic.... with any army. Hurin was a king during the first age. I was planning on using a block of fountain gaurd for them, since they just have hand weapons and heavy armor. I wanted to use them since they're d8.

What would suggest i replace them with?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Perhaps combine the archer formations into 2x 3 company formations as they are a little fragile. You could always use some Dol Amaroth knights and Imrahil instead of the wardens and boromir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thorin & Co. wrote:
As for wardens of the keys. Theres no way to make that thematic.... with any army. Hurin was a king during the first age. I was planning on using a block of fountain gaurd for them, since they just have hand weapons and heavy armor. I wanted to use them since they're d8.

What would suggest i replace them with?

That Hurin isn't the King Hurin in the First Age, it's the Hurin who is in command of the gates of Minas Tirith during the War of the Ring. When Aragorn leads the "attack" on the Black Gate, he is left in charge of Minas Tirith.

If you're taking Aragorn I'd replace the Wardens of the Keys with the Grey Company; if you're taking Boromir I'd take the Osgiliath Veterans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
That Hurin isn't the King Hurin in the First Age, it's the Hurin who is in command of the gates of Minas Tirith during the War of the Ring. When Aragorn leads the "attack" on the Black Gate, he is left in charge of Minas Tirith.

If you're taking Aragorn I'd replace the Wardens of the Keys with the Grey Company; if you're taking Boromir I'd take the Osgiliath Veterans.

Well that makes more sense, the Hurin part.
For Grey Company i would just use normal ranger models. I was originally planning on doing osgiliath veterans, but the models are expensive and i don't really want to convert 32-48 of them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm planning on converting some Warriors of Minas Tirith into Osgiliath Veterans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah i figured. I saw your osgiliath army, and that sorta made me think about gondor. But, there isnt any site that sells the vets online, so converting it is. I wouldn't pay 5$ a model, for something you need 32+ of.

Right now, me and my friend need to figure out whether or not we want another 40k army, or to start wotr. I'm the most indecisive person ever when it comes to wotr. I've made a list or three for every army except rohan, mordor and angmar.

Dwarves are inexpensive, but i don't really like the models. I like the models of elves, but those are expensive. I like the models of easterlings, but they get expensive with kataphrakts. I like the Isengard models, but they can get expensive, and look... sorta difficult to paint. Simple, but difficult. Misty mountains looks pretty darn expensive. And then there's gondor. Relativley inexpensive, looks easy to paint, and the models are pretty cool. The only problem is all the really cool stuff is metal. :(

Back to gondor. When is it appropriate to take Trebuchets? They look cool, but theyre 100 pts a pop, and idk if they're worth it.
If i were to buy 4 companies of any 1 metal model, what should it be? Clansmen, Axemen, At armsmen? Citadel and fountain gaurds are cool, but i dont think their stats warrant the financial commitment.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
I would get some calvary, maybe Dol Amroth or the Gondor Riders. Oh and you may want to get some Fortunes.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Eorltheyoung wrote:
I would get some calvary, maybe Dol Amroth or the Gondor Riders. Oh and you may want to get some Fortunes.......

The Knights of Dol Armoth look cool, but i dont think they are worth thier points. Theyre 2x the price of KoMT. Instead of getting a few D3 attacks from the unstoppable charges on a 4+, i can get supporting company attacks from the KoMT all the time since theyre 1/2 the cost.

I can only take one fortune, and most of them are pretty expensive. Probably the only one i'd go for right off the bat would be steeds of pure blood.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thorin & Co. wrote:
Eorltheyoung wrote:

The Knights of Dol Armoth look cool, but i dont think they are worth thier points. Theyre 2x the price of KoMT. Instead of getting a few D3 attacks from the unstoppable charges on a 4+, i can get supporting company attacks from the KoMT all the time since theyre 1/2 the cost.

Yeah... shame really, the new Dol Amroth models look fantastic.

Four companies of metal models? Hmm, maybe Axemen of Lossarnach (spelling?), being able to choose between pikes and two-handed weapons will be useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
Thorin & Co. wrote:
Eorltheyoung wrote:

Yeah... shame really, the new Dol Amroth models look fantastic.

Four companies of metal models? Hmm, maybe Axemen of Lossarnach (spelling?), being able to choose between pikes and two-handed weapons will be useful.

Okay, there are more differences between the cavalries than just the d3 extra attacks, is also +1FV +1Def +1Str +1courage. They're also not twice as expensive as everyone puts shield on the normal cavalry.

The extra d3 attacks is very nice when you attack large formations and have all your companies in base contact with the enemy formation.

The extra str makes then ideal to attack enemies with "even" defence (D4,6,8,10), use normal cav to attack enemies with "odd" def (D5,7,9)

I use one formatin of normal cav and one formation of SKoDA, 4 companies each. (no banners or other upgrades, I want my epics in the front company)

I find they are worth it, maybe not the full 6 companies, but 4 seems ideal. I use the left over horses for conversions and such.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Despite all those valid points gravmania, I still don't think Dol Amroth Knights are worth that much.