All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm

Post subject: Isengard and wood elf army lists
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I guite like the isengard and woodelves models so I thought about building an army for each comments and critisism welcome
Isengard
Isengard captain with heavy armour 55
lurtz 60
uruk shaman 50
8x uruk scoust with shield 72
10x uruk warriors with shield 100
10x uruk warriors with pike 100
3x berserkers 45

total pts 499
might 5
break point 17 models

Woodelves
legolas with elven cloak 100
Aragorn 175
7 woodelves with elven blade 48
14 woodelves with spear 126
5 woodelves with elven bows 45

Total pts 501
might 6+1 free per turn
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Heh, I have never played with an Isengard list but it is one of the main armies I have played against it (a lot) and as such i can see some flaws.

Firstly, you seriously need some crossbows.... cause if you don´t then the enemy has the "home field advantage" as he will just sit back and volley...

Secondly replace the Uruk captain with a named one, Vrasku or Ugluk in that case as they have basically the same stats line, but with an extra special rule and a point of might. Your list will still be fully legally allied cause Shaman can be the used for this.

Thirdly although this is quite optional, You could add a banner bearer, as you will likely be outnumbered thus having a re-roll with a higher fighting skill is nothing to be over looked. But banner is actually a matter of personal taste. :rofl:

But over all a nice, fun looking/playable list. I like it :rofl:

About the elves...

Again max out the bows...
With that list you could get 9 wood elves with bows...
And im not so sure if you should buy your elves elb blades, cause most of the times you are outnumbered , meaning you woun´t have anyone in the fight to add the regular fighting rolls.... It´s worth considering adding them elf spears....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually, in the Isengard list, I would drop the uruk captain altogether and if you want Ugluk or Vrasku swap him for Lurtz if you want one of them that is. Then use the spare points on a banner (if you want one) and crossbows. On your wood elf army I would definetely drop Aragorn as he won't be able to prove his points worth in this sized game. Again, you need to knock up your archer count to max as this is what wood elves specialize in. With the left over points from "selling" Aragorn, I would get a banner, some sentinels, and some more warriors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For both armies you've spent too many points on heroes. You also need some archers for your Uruk-hai army.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree with spuds4ever and General Elessar, too many points on heroes, you have to start somewhere though.

For your Isengard list I suggest you consider using Isengard orcs with spear instead of all or some of your pikemen. This is because you will often find supporting twice will not happen that often and when it does you only need an orc spear in the middle to make it happen anyway.
Also, it would give you more points for crossbows/orc bows which ever you decide is more useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
For your Isengard list I suggest you consider using Isengard orcs with spear instead of all or some of your pikemen. This is because you will often find supporting twice will not happen that often and when it does you only need an orc spear in the middle to make it happen anyway.
Also, it would give you more points for crossbows/orc bows which ever you decide is more useful.

I sort of disagree with this using orc spearmen is cheaper but it just doesnt look as cool having a wall of uruk-hai with shields followed by orc spearmen then uruk-kai pikemen it looks why cooler with all uruk-kai. Also i always seem to have my army of uruk-kai in 2 groups with 4 uruk-kai across and 3 uruk-kai down so getting support twice actually happens about every single fight phase, and if your front line of uruk-kai shields fall you will still have a decent deffence of 5 not 4.

apart from that i agree with everyone else here. You spent way to much points on heros for your elves and always get a banner they help alot(even if i do forget to use the rule they still look cool).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

antlion wrote:

I agree. Though ncea has a point: having all Uruk-hai looks much cooler :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wel i would always take orc spearmen, because having a cool looking formation doesn't win you games.

The Isenguard list is ok, however i would drop the scouts and use the points to buy some crossbowmen.
The Elf list does not need Aragorn, using Wood Elves means you can take more numbers than armoured elves, and you need that so you can win fights easier with your superior fight value, and lessens the chance of being killed with your defence 3, as you lose combats less with more numbers.
Therefore i would drop Aragorn, and take a Captain and some more Wood Elves. Also using some Sentinels might be an option.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Highlordell wrote:
Wel i would always take orc spearmen, because having a cool looking formation doesn't win you games.

I have an interesting theory that "looks" do, in fact, win battles... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I have an interesting theory that "looks" do, in fact, win battles...

Care to elaborate Mr Ellessar? I think it may be of use to some of us. I'm guessing this is apart from the obvious *Oh &%£?*@! he's got a scary Troll/Berserkers, lets make every single model who can string a bow target that, so the rest of my opponents army can advance unchecked.*

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Highlordell wrote:
Quote:
I have an interesting theory that "looks" do, in fact, win battles...

Care to elaborate Mr Ellessar? I think it may be of use to some of us. I'm guessing this is apart from the obvious *Oh &%£?*@! he's got a scary Troll/Berserkers, lets make every single model who can string a bow target that, so the rest of my opponents army can advance unchecked.*

I think King Ellesar is right. I can win my games through guile and cunning. My opponents are constantly looking at my well painted Shaman (which is strategicaly placed in the middle of the table edge) or large strikingly blue Dragon and seem to forget about the 6 wargs and 4 spiders driving up the Left hand side, slaughtering the models on the that side and working their way towards their heroes. Okay that is only part of it, a lot of the time it is my tactics that win the match but 'dazing' the competition is a start.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't really mean what The_Dragon_of_Moria said, it's just that through out history the better looking army, in my opinion, usually won. Who won, the Aztecs or the Conquistadors? The Zulus or the British Redcoats? The Gauls or the Roman Legions? The Messerschmitt or the Spitfire? In all of those cases it is the better looking force, in my opinion, who won. :)

By the way, "Elessar" is spelt with one "L". 8)