All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:54 pm

Post subject: (SBG) My new Lothlorien Army 750pt
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay so this is my new Lothlorien army, well more of an upgraded version of it. I just need some feedback of what you think of my stratagey that im going to use with it and if having low numbers and 3 high point heros is such a big deal.Its 750pts.

Here it is:

1x Radagast the Brown - 150
1x Galadriel,lady of the Galadrhim - 125
1x legolas - 90
1x wood elf sentinel - 25
1x wood elf - banner - 42
11xwood elf - wood elf spear, elf bow - 110
12x wood elf - wood elf spear - 96
8x Galadrhim warriors - spear,shield - 80
3 Galadrhim warriors - elven blade - 27

please dont say anything about my army untill you have read my stratagey.

ok so this is my stratagey its a bit confusing but you guys will understand it :) Its a bit of the hammer and anvil tactic just upgraded and no cavalry.

How to set it up
ok so the elf sentinel and the 11 wood elves wth wood elf spears and bow start in lines 2 by 6. Galadriel and the wood elves with spears make a semi circle around the elf archers(only the front 5 touching the archers).The banner bearer and radagast start off behinde the archers and within 6"/14cm away from all the wood elves and Galadriel. Legolas and the galadrhim warriors are the hammer(yes a very very weak hammer)

Turn 1
turn 1 is pretty simple i just get galadriel to use cast blinding light so that none of the wood elves can get shot at.Then either move the anvil up half move so the archers can shoot or volley fire with radagasts rule.

Once your close to combat
when the enemy is within charge distance use aura of dismay(means they cant charge unless they pass a courage test plus galadriels special rule gives -1 to their courage) or if you dont have piority get radagast to use immobilise(or get the sentinel to) on their hero, banner or something(if they have cavalry use panic steed).once they have charged you you can get all your elves with bows to support the spearmen(they can also shoot at anyone who failed the courage test) if you dont win the fight rember to use the banner. if someone is getting attacked by lots of pikes or spears get legolas to either use his automatic hit on the guy in combat or all 3 shoots and the pike/spearmen.

Then just get all the galadrhim warriors to charge and legolas stay back as a support archer :)

I was wondering if i should trade the galadrhim warriors for galadrhim knights with legolas on horse(but it will decrease my numbers by 2)

Please give feedback on my army and on my stratagey if theres anything that is a must have please tell me.

Thank you.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can someone please reply give some sort of feedback? I mean its had 17 views and 0 posts... or is it that i made it to complicated? or it sucks? or its to long?

I will try and post a picture of it soon so you guys will get a better idea of it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok,

Firstly what is Legolas doing in the army he's not a focal point nor is he adding anything to the army that army doesn't already have or need, Personally I would drop Legolas for Thranduil as he will aid this army more than Legolas will.
Though the mix of Gladrhim and Wood elves is good.

In terms of Strategy I have seen this done before and it does work, However you do not have the numbers to back it up. Out of a possible 75 you have taken 34 not nearly enough and eventually the weight of the enemies dice will be to much.

I myself have ran a similar list taking advantage of Galadriel's minus one courage. However I used Thranduil instead of Radagast and in truth I only needed the automatic terror for one turn, I also I had more sentinels. (remember sentinels can make them selfs cause terror).

Lastly your not taking the full advantage of your opponent failing his courage test, use it when you need it the most not just on the first charge. Get some throwing weapons in their they will assist you a great deal.

In closing I'd recommend dropping Radagast and pick up another 15 elves and get some trowing weapons into the army. I'd swap Legolas for Thranduil, and yes I know Legolas is the perfect Nazgul counter but playing without him and finding other ways to counter the wraiths will make you a better gamer.

Finally don't rely one your battle plan to much, use it as a guide and as Murphy's Law states..... "No battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy."

Active member of...
Nunawading Wargames Association
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't quite understand the strategy, is it kind of out-layed like this? If not could you do a diagram please?

B=elf bowmen
S=spearmen
G=Galadriel

BBBBBBBBBBB
SS SS
SS SS
SSGSS

As for the rest of your army, as Tackitis said, Legolas hasn't much purpose in this army, I would drop him altogether and not even replace him. Instead of that anvil, I would swap them out for some Knights and just get a tough shield wall of Galadhrim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You have alot of points tied up in very expensive heros. If you are looking for a force that will be solely fighting pitched battles this might be ok...but even then, you will be highly outnumbered. I would personally drop one of your 100+ point heros, unless you're highly tied to both of them, for many more elves. 39 at 750 could see you outnumbered nearly 2:1 by some horde armies.

Calvary would give you a useful harrasement/objective seizing force that can charge when opportunity presents itself, and more Galadhrim would present a more stable shield wall.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok its clear that none of you understand it at all.. so heres some pictures.Sorry for the bad photos and the fact that only a few minis are painted properly(also the fact that i suck with paint).so thats how there set up at the start

and another once the enemy is in charge range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Lastly your not taking the full advantage of your opponent failing his courage test, use it when you need it the most not just on the first charge.

I am not just using it on the first charge i am using it on any turn that i have piority. that way it lets my wood elves with bow able to shoot the enemy that has failed the courage test and still back up the wood elves with spear that are in a fight.

Quote:
I'd swap Legolas for Thranduil, and yes I know Legolas is the perfect Nazgul counter but playing without him and finding other ways to counter the wraiths will make you a better gamer.

I never said anythign about him being a perfect nazgul counter. i said that he can take out all the people who managed to pass their courage test and charged(well one a turn but still).

Quote:
Finally don't rely one your battle plan to much, use it as a guide

I dont think i am relying on my plan that much all im relying on is if aura of dismay works(and that my oppenent doesnt have a shaman or something that helps with courage).

Quote:
In closing I'd recommend dropping Radagast and pick up another 15 elves and get some trowing weapons into the army

that would clearly make this stratagey pointless and make it into a normal elf army..(with like no cavalry counter).

Quote:
39 at 750 could see you outnumbered nearly 2:1 by some horde armies.

Most horde armies only have 2-3 courage.meaning they cant charge which = easy kills.

Ok i sort of agree legolas is pointless..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ncea wrote:

that way it lets my wood elves with bow able to shoot the enemy that has failed the courage test and still back up the wood elves with spear that are in a fight.

Um not quite.

" A spearmen cannot offer support if he himself is engaged in combat or if he has shot in the Shoot phase." Page 43, Paragraph 1, of the One Ring rule book.
So you'll either have to choose to shot or support your friend.

I see what you mean about casting aura of dismay every turn to keep the terror shield up. I think I was thinking to much of Thranduil.

I'd really like to see how this army goes though, put up another post when you have had a game with it. I'd like to know how it goes.

Active member of...
Nunawading Wargames Association
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tactic seems good, but for your tactic to work, you're going to have to use 3 will with Radagast every turn if you want to cast aura reliably. Also, a rear attack will really cripple your whole army, I wouldn't think "I just won't let that happen." because you will be very heavily outnumbered. I might also put Legolas at the back as he has a reputation for being a soft target unless you're putting Galadriel there as well. Again, I wouldn't put too much faith in your tactic because frankly, you'll be screwed if they field a shaman or a war-priest. Just my 2 cents, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Also, unless I misread the ORB, archers can only shoot over a single model, so your double stacked archers would be unable to shoot, unless you intend to rely solely on volley fire.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Also, unless I misread the ORB, archers can only shoot over a single model, so your double stacked archers would be unable to shoot, unless you intend to rely solely on volley fire.

Yeah the first picture is what i do b4 the enemy is in charge range.the second i when thy are in charge range.

Quote:
A spearmen cannot offer support if he himself is engaged in combat or if he has shot in the Shoot phase." Page 43, Paragraph 1, of the One Ring rule book.
So you'll either have to choose to shot or support your friend.

woopsy :P i must have missed that rule lol still atleast half of them will be able to shoot while the others can attack.

Quote:
I'd really like to see how this army goes though, put up another post when you have had a game with it. I'd like to know how it goes.

Yeah i will try and vs my friend soon and tell you the scores, the army list he used, what scenerio and what type of scenery.

Quote:
Also, a rear attack will really cripple your whole army, I wouldn't think "I just won't let that happen." because you will be very heavily outnumbered. I might also put Legolas at the back as he has a reputation for being a soft target unless you're putting Galadriel there as well. Again, I wouldn't put too much faith in your tactic because frankly, you'll be screwed if they field a shaman or a war-priest. Just my 2 cents, though.

Yeah thats the bad thing.. they can come from behind with cavalry or use a shaman with fury or get lots of pikes and just outnumber me. hopefully i will find away to counter these.