-2 morannon orc
-10 orc warrior

*Orc Captain
-2 morannon orc
-8 orc warrior

*Orc Shaman
-10 Orc warrior, banner

*Shelob

Overall: 500p, 36 unit, 5might, SHELOOOB!

What do you think. Could this army list do well in a competitive match? I thought that shelob would benefit from banner, because the extra roll makes him win combat and then she can have even 4 attacks with s7... Shelob seems to be nearly as tanky as dragon! And anyways cool unit for just X points. So I wanna give her a try. I do own an old metallic shelob which fell to floor and I will repair it, but maybe more of that in another area. ;)
 Post subject: Re: Competitive Mordor 500p army with SHELOB
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok i made for fun a thematic army with shelob... I don't have all units but...

*Warg Chieftain
-9 wild warg
-3 giant spider

*Warg Chieftain
-9 wild warg
-3 giant spider

*Shelob

Overall: 504p, 25 unit, 4 might. Army is 100% mobile. Could this army win any real enemy?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You would first need to remove something––unless your opponent is fine with 504 points.
Your army is very mobile, and can cause initial damage. Its major disadvantage is that it wouldn't be able to sustaining a chomping, given that all of the units––bar Shelob––are very fragile, and once they engage the enemy their advantages diminish considerably.
Nevertheless, even if it may not be a competitive army, its uniqueness is its exonerating factor: Therefore, I would play a couple of games against different armies, and gauge from there.
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wild wargs are not cavalry, therefore they get no charge bonuses. Charging a (now normal) Fight 4 shield wall would be suicide. Ordinary bows kill them on 5+. They are definately a flanking/distance unit, not your shock troops.

Don't let Shelob get isolated...
Her Defense is good against arrows, but an ordinary warrior still wounds her on a 6+.
Great Fight Value...but how many fights will she win with one attack? Or only two attacks if she can charge first...
No Might, so a friendly Hero must be near to help her charge first---but can't alter those Duel dice for her.
All those Wounds would make her a tank...if it weren't for needing a Courage test for each one. Her courage gives her a 72% chance to pass...down to 58% with an enemy Nazgul near. Chancy...maybe add a horn?
Then again, all those Will should keep her passing Courage tests for several rounds...barring Sap Will.

All that to over-kill one enemy per round (if she wins). Cool model; not competative--but that is just my thinking through her stats. I've never played with or against her...not sure I have seen her on a table, ever. I think losing her to one failed Courage test scares people off.

If you plan to take a Budget Nazgul with more than 2 additional Will, you might as well get the Witch King for the same points; well worth it, if only for that extra Might.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love army 1, I would make some changes here and there but it all depends on your style.
Army 2 would be lots of fun to play with and against, but, like bruceqn said, will have MAJOR problems doing anything substantial.

Maybe replace the Orc Captain in Army 1 with either one of the named ones (Gorbag/Grishnakh) or a Morannon Captain? Or, if you can squeeze the cheaper Shagrat in there to get the best of both worlds, but that's not a necessary change.

As for how competitive she is, my experience with her tells a very different story to bruce's post. She wins games; plain and simple. Use her to kill heroes, especially that you have a Ringwraith to slow the really troublesome ones. Be patient and use her intelligently, she'll pay off big time.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A hero killer with no Might and max two attacks? That is surprising, but experience speaks louder than theory: I hope I see her in action. Though with half dozen Wounds and Will, I can see how she'd outlast heroes...is that her secret? Brutal Power Attacks don't hurt, venom rerolls... Think I'll have to play test her.
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well. One thing to remember is that Shelob knocks her enemies down, also riders. So when charging and winning combat, it's 4 strikes with strenght of 7. And remember rerolls. That's quite powerful.

Shelob is a bit like tiny dragon. Nearly same mobility, 2/3 same damage when charging, nearly same defence/wounds, with just 1/3 price.

And Shelob is a spider... Which is cool.

Pricewise Shelob vs Eomer with horse and shield would be probably easy for Shelob. Gimli vs Shelob might be tougher but i tested it for fun, and in this case. Shelob won having 1 wound left. ^^
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Her biggest weapons are FV and the number of wounds she can inflict per round. If you solo her, she'll probably win through attrition, but I prefer a more efficient approach. My formula is: her entourage wins the fight, she does the killing. I find it rare for a hero to last more than a turn or two against that. She and a couple of Orcs,with magic support, have taken down a few Beorns and Treebeards, often in one turn; let alone all the Aragorns and such. In fact, I seem to remember teaming her up with a Witch King and killing a Tough Hide Dragon on the first turn of combat (Shelob eats the fate, WK is free to Morgul Blade).

Your opponents quickly learn to avoid her like the plague, which means you control how they position their heroes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shelob is awesome, S7 is brilliant, because Shelob has only one attack basic she is a perfect candidate for hurling things, Jamie Giblin can testify to this when I used her last year at longbottom festival hurling his elves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Last couple games I tried her with Moria, where she becomes brutally more efficient...
Enrage beast makes her top shape beast to handle F10 S10 4A Courage 7 until the end of the phase, its not an auto win, but she gets kinda crazy for a few things.

- dont need to call out heroic strikes
- can handle a beating still
- she strikes with base 4A (5 on the charge with 10x dices to wound with re-rolls if she wins)
- counter is that she takes a wound bad (still its on a 3+, chances that you might still survive with a roll of 2 or less), and if you play smart, druzhag around might just nullify her ability for courage test, thx to his fury bubble that affect beasts...