All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 pm

Post subject: Gil-Galad and his army
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi there,

I'm slowly painting my way through an elven army.
I've got a couple of Last Alliance elves, Elrond, Gil-Galad, Gil-Galad Mounted, Erestor, Glorfindel mounted, some knights and a few spearmen.
Recently I bought some King's Guard from a different company (3 with spear+shield and 3 with sword+shield).

I was just wondering something about the King's Guard.
This company I got the spear/swordsmen from about to release King's Guard elves with bow and this made me wonder; why?!

Is there any reason anyone would like to upgrade his elven archers to King's Guard other than really going for a themed list?
 Post subject: Re: Gil-Galad and his army
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The only reasons that you see you can upgrade King´s guard to actually have bows and spears... that way your archers will effectively have a role to support the front line, making them effective (and since peeps like bow weilding... nothing wrong with that)... other than themed purpose.

For instance if you pay ex: 5 elves with sword and shield and 5 kings guard with bow and spear... the spear support will retain usefullness to the front rank, not only giving an attack, but also improving the fight value overall of the model as for spear support fighting style you know what the back with higher fight value do to the front one...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You could also make use of fight 6 archers if you meant to leave a group or two of them out away from the rest of your army with a cheap hero, or one that then leaves. The higher fight will make it harder for cavalry or other light troops to sweep them away since they will out fight things like spiders, wilder warg chiefs, and dragon knights.

I usually wind up using archers as reserve infantry myself. Doing something like that with fight 6 units, preferably with spears, would help shore up a main line of King's Guard without making any obvious weak points in it for your opponent to concentrate on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm, I see.
Thanks for the info, that makes them more usuable than I actually thought.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

But be awared... make sure you make a good mixing around cause King´s guard cost points... 2 many and you wont have points for the remain.. :P

Though they fit really well as Last Alliance Veterans at the current age.. (though you still need Gil Galad)... odd :P