All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 pm

Post subject: No Bow with Eregion, is it possible?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Would it be idiotic to field a force of high elves with absolutely 0 bows whatsoever. Im talking about Eregion and not using the rivendel knights.

The saved points could go towards a bannermen + giving shields to all infantry. Do people field no-bow forces?

Also,,,,first post under this account. I used to be batman4pres if you remember those days way way way way back.
 Post subject: Re: No Bow with Eregion, is it possible?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Depends on the points limit I suppose. I would, personally, always take at least 6 bowmen with spears to threaten other archers or cavalry. But if you have Cirdan or a troop of mounted heroes already it might be viable. Why don't you give us the list you are thinking of so we can see your hero selection first.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think it is foolish to field any army with no bows. I'm a firm believer in fielding max bows no matter what. That being said, if you have an idea, try it out and see how it works.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I'd suggest to absolutely take max bows with high elves especially. There's a good chance you will be outnumbered most games. Not many armies besides Uruk hai can match you in a shooting battle in terms of defense and strength going against each other. Take bows.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jdizzy001 wrote:
I think it is foolish to field any army with no bows

Tell that to goblin town and Moria and see if they dont pull major wins at tournaments :P

It depends pretty much what type of army you´re using and what you can get to counter the lack of something.

On high elves in specific you can use a force without bows, although its not advisable. Elves are known by many things and one of such its their skills with bows. Wasting an army advantage with good shooting can be annoying. However it depends on your battle tactic and what heroes will you take to counter the enemy. In last resort, use rivendell knights cause the´re best in combat for high elf standarts and comes with an auto bow included.... so you have an option if you want to use it or not ^^

I would use bows, but depending on what exactly.... as a good force not being able to shoot at stuff into combat unlike evil, you need to make sure every shoot you do its a critical hit on something before getting in melee..

In various scenarios can be very handy specially with random reinforcements waves on table edges, it can prove quite usefull to slow down cav and pin down troops in some areas giving a nice supressing fire threat.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tuche Galanur. I didn't take those two into consideration. It is pretty army dependent. I would argue, however, that one should still strive to max out their bow limit.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rivendell yes, if not max... close to it...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No, you don't necessarily need them. Pretty much all of the scenarios encourage you to start in or rush to the middle and not to hang around doing any shooting. The only real exceptions to this are to the death and lords of battle, where shooting can be very useful, particularly if the enemy has no bows, as then you can dictate where the battle will be fought, as the enemy will have to come to you or be shredded by arrows. I'd say take them, but don't be afraid to throw them into combat pretty much straight away if you need more numbers in combat, as the archers are just as good as bladesmen in melee.