All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 pm

Post subject: Isengard 700 points
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi!

I've been making an Isengard list and I want to know if I can improve it in some way.

Saruman + horse
12 uruk-hai (6 shield, 6 pike)

Vrasku
12 uruk-hai (12 crossbow)

Mauhur/Captain (shield and heavy armour)
6 berserkers
6 uruk-hai (6 pikes)

702 points
8 might
14 str 4 shots
39 models

Or should I remove something for Grima? Do I need a shaman?

Thanks!
Useraxe

Post subject: Re: Isengard 700 points
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A competitive force at 500 pts is 3 captains and 30 urks (vrasku and 10xbows to give max bow shots).
Saruman and Grima get you to 700. Grima is a solid choice so i would include him where possible, even in 500 points it would be worth it. Saruman on horse is good if you can afford it.
Basically what I would do is cut one of the captains (personally I would have Vrasku and Mauhur) and then add the options for what you want - beserkers, trolls etc.
Your army would stay about the same size but be more elite.
I dont think you need a shaman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks! Perfect advice for smaller games (500) too! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Your army looks good. Some advice i can give you is to not underestimate the Wood Elves and Dwarves (both Durin's Folk and Army of Thrór), because while the uruk-hai have a big advantage most armies,you are at a disadvantage against these factions.

Elves have a higher fight value, lower cost per warrior, and their bows kill your crosbows and pikes on a 5, the Galadhrin Court Guard are Fight 6 and have pikes so that not even your heroes can win a tie. Also, Galadriel can make your crossbows almost useless and Legolas can snipe softer targets on the back lines, like a shaman or pike support. Rúmil is a pain to deal with too. And your magic isn't as much as an advantage like it is against Minas Tirith of Rohan because most of their heroes are just giving support to their troops from the back lines.

Dwarves, match your fight value, have a better defense, have str 3 bows, their ironguard are almost as good as your berserkers (no 2h and lower courage for same cost, but have throwing weapons) and their heroes, namely the King's Champion, Dáin, Gimli and Balin will easily kill your warriors and heroe, other than Saruman. Army of Thrór has spear support but no bows, and some strong heroes too. Magic is key to dealing with them, as your warriors will be either on the same level, or at a slight advantage against their warriors.

High Elves are another strong faction, but their warriors and specially their heroes are very expensive, so you will almost always outnumber them, and your uruk-hai kill the warriors on a 5, while the elves will need a 6. Just take care of Gil-Galad as soon as possible and you will be fine.

Other good factions are mostly at a disadvantage against you, like Arnor and Rohan, or aren't really played that often like the Fiefdoms or Wanderers in the Wild. Fiefdoms depends too much on the heroes and while their warriors are almost as good as the uruks, they are only str 3, Saruman can deal with the heroes. Minas Tirith has a lot of diversity, and some strong heroes, you will usually face a line of warrios supported by citadel guard with spears and some citadel guards with srt 3 bows, many people also bring the Fountain Court Guard. Immobilizing Boromir is key, as well as killing the archers before they kill your crossbows (both need a 4 to hit and a 5 to kill each other, so be careful).

Hope this helps you lead the legions of the White Hand to Victory.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I play a fair amount of Isengard. Here's my advice -

If you have the models, I'd swap out as many standard Uruk Hai as possible for either Berserkers or Feral Uruk Hai. The 2 attacks are a huge advantage against most enemies, and they have high courage (especially the Berserkers), so will stick around even if your army breaks.

I would take an Uruk Hai shaman instead of Mauhur or the generic captain, and then keep him close to the fray, but as protected as you can. I'd cast a channeled Fury with him early in the game. It's an automatic Fate roll of 5+ for any ally within 6", which can be huge. With D 6, it's not easy killing Berserkers, and even harder when they have a 1/3 chance to make a Fate save.

At 500 points, I'd leave out Saruman and Grima. At 800, they're definitely in. At 700, I'm honestly not sure if I'd take them, or just another warband. I'd probably lean against them, and lean toward a captain like Lurtz, Ugluk, or another shaman. Keep Vrasku though. His double shot crossbow is potent.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the amazing advice. I will have that in my mind in the future Luizasso! I will try what you said, Men are weak. :)