All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Post subject: 1000pt Angmar
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys, hoping for some feedback regarding this Angmar list I was thinking of trying

WB 1
Witch King (maxed stats) w/ horned FB and Crown of Morgul

WB 2
The Tainted on regular FB

WB 3
Barrow Wight
4 Spectres
3 Orcs with Spear
3 Orcs with Shield
2 Orcs with T-H Weapon

WB 4
Barrow Wight
4 Spectres
3 Orcs with Spear
3 Orcs with Shield
2 Orcs with T-H Weapon

WB 5
Shaman
4 Orcs with Shield
1 Orc with Shield and Banner
5 Orcs with Spear
2 Orcs with T-H weapon

WB 6
Shade
Orc with shield
Orc with spear

Pros of list:
Heavy Magic
Heavy on special rules
Looks cool
2 Fell Beasts making trouble
Lots of terror and fear bubbles
Shade
High moral heroes

Cons of list:
Not as model heavy as most evil armies
No cav
Lots of fear based rules meaning weak to high courage armies
No bows (but orc bows aren't really that great, so it's neither here nor there)
Spectres expensive in points
Low on might
 Post subject: Re: 1000pt Angmar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, considering that this is a 1000-point army, the enemies are also going to have insane heroes and troops...

Enemies with a lot of archers might be a problem, such as rangers of dunedain or elves... Replacing Tainted with Shadowlord might be worth it (not exactly ruining themic anyhow).

If the enemy would have dwarves, this amount of magic might be enough to control their overpowered heroes, but these orcs might be uncapable getting through the armors of dwarves... You probably would need more some sort of powerful forces...

Witch king with all additional items costs huge amount of points, and is afterall relatively weak. It is not a task or anything to kill a fellbeast in a few turn. It might be wiser to drop the items and keep the Witch king in the role of support.

Spectres look funny, but their role in battle is often small...

Shade is powerful, but the troops having only orcs do not use all potential of having a shade in an army...

It depends on the enemy... If the army is made purely thematically, then it is nice, but for a competitive match there could be done changes...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

To be honest, the Tainted sucks. Replace with Dwimmerlaik, who is tied for the best wraith IMHO. I would also get more orcs and maybe Buhrdur, and probably drop some of the pricey stuff (Crown of Morgul) off the Witch King. It really doesn't increase his killing power all that much, and he is already fine of a Fellbeast.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah the problem is that this army does not have that much hitpower, even though it is meant to be a melee-infrantry-army... Uruks, dwarves or other enemies should be easily able to wipe a few ten orcs out at this size of match...

Here is a new army list:

*Witch King on fb
-11 orc warrior
-1 spectre

*Shadowlord on fellbeast
-6 warg rider

*Orch Shaman
-12 orc warrior

*Shade
-12 orc warrior

*Burdhur
-11 orc warrior
-1 orc warrior with just 1h weapon

This should do about 1000 points...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks guys for your replies, I played 2 games recently and a lot of the points you guys have brought up came into it. I didn't use the exact list, but I used a similar one (it was at the 650 pts bracket vs. Morannons and morgul knights with a vicious Gothmog/taskmaster combo) and it really lacked killing power. The Witch King did well but the points you guys brought about the rest of the army not being killy enough were entirely accurate. Thank you so much for the feedback and the solid slogging I got in the game really nailed home the points made here.

I used (from memory):
Maxed witch king as listed in my first post

Barrow wight

3 Spectres

Orc Captain

Orc Banner

And maybe 25 ish orcs

My battleline crumpled like paper, but the spectres and Barrow wight + Witch King performed amazingly (though perhaps part of the amazement is because I am comparing them to my orc line, which did not do so well). The D6 wall was too much, and I could not make up any ground - I shudder to think what would happen vs. dwarves.

I was thinking of reworking the list and trying to focus on the parts of the list I like, while filtering the parts I don't and still keeping it themed.

Instead of Anmgar, a 650 pt Minas Morgul themed list (using Angmar/Mordor lists for the Morannons inhabiting minas morgul and the angmar list for barrow wights/spectres representing the many evil spirits inhabiting minas morgul):

WB 1:
maxed out WK on unarmoured FB with crown of morgul (though this is up for debate, my reasoning was that if his FB was sniped out he would still be a potent threat)

- 1 Spectre
- 5 Morannons w/ shield
- 6 Morannons w/shield and spear

WB 2:
Orc drummer
- 1 Spectre
- 5 Morannons w/ shield
- 6 Morannons w/ shield and spear

WB 3:
Barrow wight
- 2 Spectres

WB 4:
Barrow wight
- 2 Spectres

To bring it up to a thousand pts I would add a second wraith on FB, a shade and some morgul knights. What do you guys think? Is this more killy? I'm still lacking cav and bows, but I have a heavy magic presence (and some amazing models!)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok I made a new army list. Idea is that undying will regain sooo much will due to there is so many mages in the army = you will truly have an undying fellbeast that is also a good mage. Also I dropped the orc shaman but another barrowwight can be transferred if you need a shaman. This lsit has 22 poitns extra so you could switch some orcs to some special forces:

*Witch king on fellbeast, maxed points
-12 morannon orc

*Undying on fellbeast
-12 morannon orc

*Barrow-wight
-12 orc warrior

*Barrow-wight
-12 orc warrior

*Shade
-12 orc warrior
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will absolutely give that list a go, that looks so simple yet so fun. More than that, it has so many mages! Looks like a lot of fun, thanks again for your continued input :)