All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 am

Post subject: Goblins of the north Azog's Legions/Moria
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey guys,

With the release of the goblin mercs I am re inspired to build an army of northern goblins for something like a book based battle of five armies.

I am wondering people's thoughts on Azog's legions and what to take. I am thinking about mostly Gundabad orcs, either as Black shields or Azogs legion orcs, a handful of Gundabad Berserkers, and some goblin merc, some bats, at higher points Gundabad troll.

I guess I am wondering what heroes to take, should I take mostly Moria with allied in a band or two to get some berserkers and monsters? Or should I build out of Azog's legions take the bulk of the troops as gundabad orcs, maybe ally in a shaman and some warg marauders, ect.

What heroes should I be looking at? I'd really rather not take Bolg or Azog, if I do I am going to try to do a conversion, something drastic to make bolg a model being carried like the golden king. That's a side note. But how important if at at all are they to the army if I were to go mostly Azog's legions?

P
 Post subject: Re: Goblins of the north Azog's Legions/Moria
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

An interesting question. I think that if you are going by the book then then most of Gundabad is going in the bin since it is to over the top for the books. Ogres, super trolls, bats the size of dogs etc. are all out. The trolls would have all turned to stone even with the bat-clouds blocking most of the sun. My thinking is to go with Moria as the mainstay of the army with a basic goblin blitz with captains, bat swarms and a drum. I would consider bring in some goblin mercenaries or fell wargs but not to many. The only real use for the Legion models, as I see it, is for the basic warriors to serve as the bodyguard of Bolg with their heavy armor, better strength, and faster movement. The bodyguard were suppored to be greatest of the orcs and their statline is about as good as orcs can get without making Uruks. That is my thinking anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah I was thinking the bersekers would be cool for the bodyguard. Youre definitely right about the trolls but I kinda like the look of them, especially the helmeted one.

So mostly moria with an allied warband or two from Legions?

What should I do for a leader though?

P
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I should think that if you don't want to use the bofa Bolg then a Gundabad captain would be the most effective choice. It would be nice if there was a mid-range fight five character, like a general, but since there is not the captain seems like the best way have a dangerous hero that can fight against mid and low range stuff. The old goblin king, with the twelve inch standfast, might work also since he has more might and similar stats to the captain. Still, I would go with the regular captain as my first pick.