All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

Post subject: Rohan 600 Helms Deep relief force
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just a quick list I threw together the other day. I'm curious to hear what you all think. As per the title, I'm going for a force based off the one in the movie, where Eomer comes to Helms Deep with Gandalf the White.

Warband 1:

Eomer (Marhsal): Horse, bow

8 Riders of Rohan

3 mounted royal guard

1 Son of Eorl

Warband 2:
Captain: Horse

2 sons of Eorl

Gandalf the White on Shadowfax.

Total = 598
Model count: 17

In terms of gameplay my thoughts are that I would initially keep everyone together, and use Gandalf's blinding light to lessen my chances of getting shot. Eomer and the riders use their bows to try and weaken enemy archers and the like, and then when it comes to charging in, I'd send in Eomer, the Sons, the captain, and the royal guard: ideally aided by a well placed sorcerous blast to either knock their targets down, or otherwise knock down those who might come to help.

I realise it might be hard to square the circle here, but I'm trying to make my list as competitive as possible within the parameters of the theme. Any thoughts on how to do it would be appreciated.

Cheers!
 Post subject: Re: Rohan 600 Helms Deep relief force
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It seems like a cool list, and I love that part of the film. Only thing that I would really change is too take out the Sons of Eorl, as you are going for a thematic approach to the list. Replace them with just normal riders, that will also help to increase your numbers allowing you to get some more bows to pick off targets before engaging in combat.

In regards to being competitive, in my opinion its hard to make a Rohan list competitive without using Erkenbrand. So maybe consider taking the captain out and adding him in.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would swap out Eomer for Erkenbrand and use the points you save for another Son or two riders. The Horn bonus is very worthwhile and upgrading to Redshields is almost a must with Rohan forces. If this bites into your numbers too much, perhaps swap out some of the Royal Guards for Riders, since with the +2 courage horn, the Bodyguard rule becomes less essential.I know Eomer is thematic, but remember that in the books, he is in the Hornburg while Erkenbrand rides into the Deep with Gandalf!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TheEggman wrote:
I would swap out Eomer for Erkenbrand and use the points you save for another Son or two riders. The Horn bonus is very worthwhile and upgrading to Redshields is almost a must with Rohan forces. If this bites into your numbers too much, perhaps swap out some of the Royal Guards for Riders, since with the +2 courage horn, the Bodyguard rule becomes less essential.I know Eomer is thematic, but remember that in the books, he is in the Hornburg while Erkenbrand rides into the Deep with Gandalf!

This is actually what I was wondering about since I recently managed to pick up a mint Erkenbrand on ebay recently, maybe I'll swap the theme from the movie relief force to the book relief force, especially since Erkenbrand is much better with his horn.

That being the case, if I recall correctly the relief force in the books was an army of foot soldiers wasn't it? If I were to swap the theme to have everyone on foot, or at least the majority, how would you construct the list then as a matter of interest? (Still including Gandalf). Would it be possible to make a semi competitive foot-han list within those parameters?

EDIT:

To give an example of my thoughts on this. This is what I made up the other day:

Warband 1:

Erkenbrand on foot, 6 Royal Guard, 6 Warriors with shields

Warband 2:

Captain on foot, heavy armour, shield. 6 Warriors with shields, 1 with banner, 5 outriders

Warband 3:

King's Huntsman

Warband 4:
Gandalf the White on foot.

How does that look for an erkenbrand book themed relief force?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

if you are going erkenbrand, id say keep him on horse and keep some troops on horse too to make use of his upgrade

w1
erkenbrand on horse
redshields x5
son of eorl x2

w2
captain - horse, shield, heavy armour, throwing spear
redshields x5
royal guard x2 - horse and throwing spears

w3
gandalf the white - shadowfax

600points in the button,

this is just quick thought,***