All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am

Post subject: Nazgul advice and strategy for 800 points Mordor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello there!

I recently started to play again and I'm struggling creating a Mordor army, specially selecting a great Nazgul on fell beast. I struggle thinking how to properly play them: If you use fly to engage miniatures in the back of the enemy frontline you expose them, and heroes tend to have more Fight value than the evil spirits. The current magic nerf makes more difficult to transfix (to lower their fight value you have to channel magic), and if you use it without channeling then you are going to get exposed in the next turn. Witch king with crown on fell beast seems a great choice but a risky one because he is Legendary:in the scenery victory points there is almost always points for killing your army leader. Playing safely seems a bit underwhelming option because I feel like wasting too much points to kill infantry and if the other heroes get to the front line fight them secure sorrounded by your own warriors.
Well, as you can see I'm a bit confused. I thought about playing the following army but something seems wrong:

Witch King of angmar 3-16-3 Fell beast and crown
9 Morannon shield spear
9 Black numenoreans

Kardush
12Morannon shield spear 1 banner

Gothmog shield and warg
4 orc tracker warg
6 orc tracker

43 miniatures
7 might
Fury
6 Cavalry

¿What do you think about it? ¿What would you play instead? Thank you very much.

Post subject: Re: Nazgul advice and strategy for 800 points Mordor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The new edition changed the wraiths to be more like casters or assassins than battle mages of old. The Witchking and the Knight of Umbar can probably still be relied on in a fight at higher levels but otherwise you would do well to have a troll or combat hero for a nazgul to support. At mid levels points, however, even an unnamed nazgul on a fell beast should give most fight 5 heroes a problem. One possibility is to use a nazgul to drain the courage and will from big heroes and then pin them down with transfix. It does not make them as easy to kill as before but it does prevent them from doing any damage themselves. In armies which rely on big heroes to do the leg work, like Rivendell or Gondor, shutting down a hero can be enough to cripple the army.

With the list you've given above, I would suggest shifting some more line troops to Gothmog and using him to fight heroes while having the Witchking support with magic and fight enemy infantry or cavalry. I mean, the witching is no pushover and you could probably take on heroes well enough with transfix, heroic strike, and rend. I would likely not bother with it when you already have an equally capable hero in Gothmog.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Get rid of either crown or fell beast on the WK (I would keep crown+horse), because with both they kind of overlap.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you guys for your help and time!

I love the mobility of a Fell Beast to kill important targets, that's why I'm not sure about a Gothmog potential to reach what you really need to. I was thinking about everything you told me so I reach the following list:

Knight of Umbar on Fellbeast (Assasin, but I'm not sure about him or The Dark Marshall)

Witch King 3-10-2 (Probably drop a Black Numenorean Knight and give him a Horse to improve his spell reach)
7 Black numenoreans
7 Morannon with shield and spear

Shagrat with shield and heavy armour (heavy hitter to kill infantry and heroes as well if he reach them)
12 Morannon with shield and spear (one of them with a banner)

Kardush
9 Orc trackers (to be sacrified by Kardush for more fire power)
3 Black numenorean knight

42 miniatures
9 Might
Fury
4 Cavalry

This way Witch King is a support wizard. He is the leader of the army so I can have it secured in a Terror frontline warband while casting spells.
Shagrat is a beast, so I can use it to kill infantry or if he can reach an enemy hero.
The Knight of Umbar is a bad caster, but anyway, I want him to be in action. He is not the leader so he can be sacrified if you need to. The Dark Marshall is a better wizard and has combat 6... So I'm not sure what could be better. Probably Knight of Umbar because if needed you can face stronger heros like elven ones copying his attributes.
Kardush give me Fury, can command more troops and has a great fireball. Besides, if there is a problem with some of the Nazgul being low on Will, you can always sacrifice him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the best would be Khamul on the FB so that you can keep fighting without worrying too much about will pointfirst and you get the much significant Heroic Strike.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Manadar wrote:
I think the best would be Khamul on the FB so that you can keep fighting without worrying too much about will pointfirst and you get the much significant Heroic Strike.

Yes, it's a great option but with a Fell beast one of his special rules is a bit redundant. Probably it's true he is the best: I'm not sure if you copy the original values of attack with the Knight of Umbar to get for example 3+1 for a charge. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would not consider it being worth the trouble to bring a second wraith in support of a first. A troll chieftain or some other sort of bruiser would seem more apt to me. If you think it would serve some purpose, though, I would certainly take the Knight of Umbar over Khamul. The armor of the southlands is just no will expected if you win where Khamul has to personally kill something each fight to get it back. You still get the charge and knock to the group/trapping effect if the Knight mimics a stat-line too. You can build a generic wraith and play around with who it represents to see what you like though.