-12 Orcs (Spears)

Warband 2:
-Orc Captain (Warg, Shield)
-6 Orcs (Shields)
-6 Orcs (Spears)

Warband 3:
-Shelob

797 Points, 39 Models, 5 Might, No Shooting

I like this one because it's Sauron and another monster, and it's not too low on numbers. The main battle-line is also pretty resilient, which you don't usually see in Sauron armies. My problem with it is that I don't know how much fun my opponents would have facing Sauron (I know it's a tourney, but I don't win any money or career advancement, I want people to have fun playing me)

Army 2:

Warband 1:
-Gothmog (Warg, Shield)
-5 Morgul Stalkers
-5 Morannon Orcs (Shields, Spears)
-4 Morannon Orcs (Sheilds)
-1 Morannon Orc (Banner)

Warband 2:
-Troll Chieftain
-3 Morgul Stalkers
-4 Morannon Orcs (Shields, Spears)
-4 Morannon Orcs (Shields)

Warband 3:
-Orc Shaman (Warg)
-4 Orc Trackers (Wargs)

Warband 4:
-Great Beast of Gorgoroth

800 Points, 44 Models, 8 Might (really 5 usable + Master of Battle), 13 Archers

I think of a different variation of this one pretty much every day. Some days I replace the Troll Chief with Goroth and add an Orc Drummer, sometimes Warband 4 is a Budget Wraith with a line of Orc Trackers instead of the Great Beast, sometimes Warband 3 has the Wraith and Trackers on foot. I'm still figuring out how I want this one to play. All I know is that it's a bunch of multi-attack Orcs boosted by Angry Gothmog and that sounds like a delightful way to spread Mordorian Love.

Army 3:

Warband 1:
-Khamul (Fellbeast)
-6 Black Guard of Barad Dur
-6 Morannon Orcs (Spears)
-1 Black Guard of Barad Dur (Banner)

Warband 2:
-Shagrat (Heavy Armour, Shield of Cirith Ungol)
-6 Black Guard of Barad Dur
-6 Morannon Orcs (Spears)

Warband 3:
-Black Numenorean Marshall (Armoured Horse, Lance)
-6 Morgul Knights
-5 Morannon Orcs (Assorted Equipment)
-Orc Tracker (You tell me what I'm supposed to do with 5 leftover points)

800 Points, 40 Models, 7 Might, 1 Archer

This is me stacking as many elites as I can into the army. That's all there is to say about it. This one also sees daily incarnations of who the heroes can be etc etc.

Army 4:

Warband 1:
-Bolg (Warg, Bow)
-6 Hunter Orcs (Bow)
-6 Hunter Orcs

Warband 2:
-Keeper of the Dungeons
-6 Gundabad Orcs (Shields)
-6 Gundabad Orcs (Spears)
-2 Mirkwood Spiders

The following are separate Warbands, but for readability's sake

Warband 3:
-6 Castellans of Dol Guldur
-6 Gundabad Orcs (Spears)

799 Points, 40 Models, 6 Might, 7 Archers

This is as experimental as it gets, but I love the idea of putting heroes as the base of your battle line. I've never tried it, I kinda want to try it and see what happens. Also has a brutal beatstick of a hero in Bolg and a not-too-shabby Keeper of the Dungeons. There's a version of this army with the Necromancer instead of Bolg and the Keeper of the Dungeons, depending on how I feel about needing magic. This one is the most interesting army to me, but also the most situational.

Army 5 would be a Balrog army, but there's already a Sauron list here. Let's not get carried away.

I tried to give each of these a way to deal with the Boromir-tier heroes. Army 4 would struggle the most with big heroes, since my only way to deal with them is that Bolg goes berserk. At this points level, in a tournament that encourages people to bring expensive models, I know I'm seeing big heroes. Tell me your opinions! What would you be most 1) scared of and 2) excited to face?
 Post subject: Re: (Mostly) Mordor 800 pts
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lists 2 & 3 are both very solid and should serve you well.

I wouldn't be keen to play with or against List 1, as Sauron is annoying to fight and doesn't require much skill to play with

List 4 doesn't excite me to play with, but would be a decent challenge to play against.

I think the strength of Mordor is their ability to put together lists like you have in List 2 and List 3. Lots of options, and while you have some big guns but still have solid numbers.

I'd probably go with List 3 if it were me, but that's because I love the versatility of Khamul and the Fell Beast (even nerfed a bit) and I've always found Shagrat War Leader a bit underrated, and a very solid combat beast. And Morgul Knights can be really good in the hands of an experienced player.

But Gorthmog on Warg is a beast, and the Troll Chieftain can destroy enemy lines and kill heroes. But I think you have might too many bows in List 2, IMO

Post subject: Re: (Mostly) Mordor 800 pts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, List 1 is mostly there because, though I've been playing this game almost since it came out, I've never actually used Sauron. You're right, he's annoying to fight unless you know to expect him.

List 2 came from a stats breakdown I did where I saw just how much damage Morgul Stalkers can deal when Gothmog activates his effect, and is probably the biggest challenge for me to use well. List 3 is just all-round solid, which I like. List 4 was my evil answer to a Vault Warden team, though, again, isn't a simple point-n-click army.

Interesting that you say List 2 has too many bows. I've actually always wanted to try a Mordor gun line: an Orc horde with as many Trackers and Siege Bows/Catapults as I can fit, just to fight the notion that Orcs can't shoot. I've also had the same idea for Moria, a Goblin horde with as many bows as I can take, and a Fire Breathing Dragon.