-7 orc warriors
-3 orc warriors with spears

*Kardush the firecaller
-8 orc warriors
-4 orc warriors with spears

*Orc Captain with a shield
-8 orc warriors

Strategy: Orc warriors use picks to get S4 when needed so low def doesn't matter anymore, they are kamikaze orcs, that's why no shields. A bit like in the movies a lot of orcs dies but a lot of mass. Unless enemy S3, then fight normal. Fellbeast is cool, troll too. Kardush is a bit improved shaman though i don't own Kadush so i guess need to use normal one as kardush.
 Post subject: Re: Mordor 700p snaga army
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is more of a general note, I've commented on a lot of your posts and one thing I've noticed about your army-building style, Salattu, is that you tend to take twice (or more) as many 'naked' warriors as you do spears. I'm curious how you line them up, and if that's something that might be hurting how you play.

Most common battle formation is a straight line with a row of shields in front and a row of spears behind. A lot of people like to have reserves behind that, so a few extra shields and one or two extra spears, because the shields are going to die first in battle. That means you generally want a really similar number of shields and spears. Maybe a couple of extra shields, but in this case you have 33 front line warriors and 15 spears, which is a huge difference. There used to be an article somewhere like 15 years ago listing a bunch of different battle formations and what kind of armies they'd benefit, I'll see if I can find a modern version of that because it was really helpful.

Like you said, Orcs are weak but you can take a lot of them. The problem is that these unsupported Orcs without shields are going to die very quickly. Orcs in general die very quickly, I did the math a while ago, a spear-supported Orc Warrior with shield is, on average, twice as likely to die as it is to kill something. Those odds are much worse if you're only rolling one dice and that Orc used Piercing Strike. You'll be losing Orcs much faster than you can kill enemy warriors. It's good that you have a Shaman and Banner, that'll help a little, but I think you should aim for more spears, and give your front line warriors (at least) shields. That's a note for a your general army building process, spears and shields give you so much flexibility to throw your weight around in battle. With an army like this, your numbers are good, the plan would be to keep sending Orcs against your opponent while Khamul and the Troll Chieftain kill things. As it is now, I think your Orcs will die very quickly and leave Khamul and the Troll surrounded.

I hope that block of text helps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you for answer! I think you are right about this spearmen and formation problem.

I must say that when i play orcs i usually make a lot more losses in the frontline than in the backline. I often use shieldmen in a curvature formation, so they bring extra protection against flanking enemies - spearmen can move behind the line freely where they are needed most.

But it is also true that some people play "smart" and shoot to spearmen, then my strategy is very bad if i loose spearmen.

I guess i could add a bit more spearmen to my armies in general. Perhaps 7-5 relationship would be optimal for me?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here is a new army with 19 shieldmen and 15-16 spearmen. Not much snagas though... How to improve?

Mordor (700p, 38 units, 7 might)
*Khamul on a fellbeast
-4 morannon orcs with shields
-4 mordor uruk hais with shields
-2 morannon orcs with shields and spears
-4 morannon orcs with spears
-1 morannon orc with a spear and a banner
*Mouth of Sauron
-4 mordor uruk hais with shields
-4 morannon orcs with shields
-2 morannon orc with shield and spear
-4 morannon orcs with spears
*Troll Chieftain
-3 morannon orcs with shields
-3 morannon orcs with shields and spears
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok i promised a snaga army so here it is! Lots of unshielded orcs, with a spear ratio 5 spears per 7 front. How to improve? Is shaman needed because of low courage of orcs? If i use black gate open i get m3 w2 f2 troll.

Mordor snaga army:

Black gate Opens or Mordor (700p, 64 units, 10 might)

*Troll Chieftain
-6 orc warriors
-1orc warrior with a spear and a banner

*Orc Captain
-7 orc warriors
-1 orc warrior with a spear and a banner

*Orc Captain
-7 orc warriors
-5 orc warriors with spears

*Orc Captain