All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 am

Post subject: Khand in MESBG
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I searched through the forum but all Khand related topics are older than 2015.

So I wondered: What is your opinion on Khand in the current edition of the game in 2022?

Having only played pure infantry armies so far - and losing to a big part because of this on my last tournament - I am now interested in playing an army with more mobility.

And since I am always drawn to armies outside of the mainstream (sorry Rohan and Minas Tirith) and I do not like Orcs nor Wargs, I was left with Easterlings, Fiefdoms and Khand. And there I remembered that Khand picked my interest already when first reading through the army book.

I like their aesthetics, having chariots and a full cavalray army sounds like a lot of fun =)
They however seem to be again rather limited in their variation and although they are fully available by GW, collecting them looks like being on the costly side (full metal army, only blisters for cavalry but needing a lot of them).

I rarely saw or heard videos, articles etc about Khand and my impression is that they are only taken as ally for Easterlings.
Also they seem rather fragile and (like Numenor) they can win fights and if they are killy but if they lose, they die rather quickly.

So what is your opinion on them?
Maybe they even get extended with the new "War in the North" expansion?

Post subject: Re: Khand in MESBG
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've only dabbled with Khand a little bit in this edition, but from what I've seen your assessment of them as fragile is spot on.

I ran a king on chariot with a few horsemen and some footmen in support (a friend let me his models) and had middling results. It did well when I was able to engage an isolated warband: my chariot impact hits connected on the first round; no major heroes to threaten my king; and the footmen were able to get some 2v1 fights and screen the chariots flanks. When I tried to take the warband alongside my Easterlings into a straight fight in the next game they died very fast. The chariot got bogged down on the first charge and was overwhelmed. The infantry were cut down by throwing weapons and the whole warband collapsed almost immediately after contact.

I've only fought against them once so far, also as an ally to the Easterlings. It was a similar story to my second game with them. The Chariot hero hit my lines, failed to do damage, and was then spent the rest of the game fighting four warriors.

The only thing the army has going for it is the 100% horse archer spam, one decent unnamed hero, and the chariots. I've heard tell of people running whole armies that play to those strengths (a couple kings on chariot, 4 or more chariots, and then a bunch of horsemen), but I haven't seen them myself.

I think Khand does work best when one brings a king and maybe some horsemen or another warrior on chariot as a maneuvering element to an Easterling army. The kings work well as hammers and can threaten enemy cavalry to protect a flank. The riders can do some shooting and run for the board edge or objectives. It would work with other evil armies too, but everyone but Easterlings has to give up the both armies army bonus to bring Khand along, which isn't usually worth it. If you like the idea of an Easterling army, I'd say put in for at least the king 3 blisters of horsemen and a box of warriors (for dismounts primarily) to have as an optional ally.

As for whether we will see new models in the War in the North, I'd doubt it. I do hope they make an appearance in the scenarios around Erebor as it would give the armies of evil some more visual interest.

Post subject: Re: Khand in MESBG
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thx for the answer =)

I now ordered a Khandish king on chariot, a charioteer and one blister of riders.

Mostly because I wanted to have the original miniatures at least once and buy them before the price tag increase in March.

After a long search I found that there quite a lot alternative miniatures for Khand which are not only much cheaper but also look very good.
So the rest of the army will be only made of them.

I am aware that they are maybe not the most competetive ones but nearly everyone told that they are a lot of fun. This + the beautiful aesthetics convinced me to start them =)
Not sure yet how big the army will be - maybe just 400 to 500 points and later have Easterlings to play an alliance on bigger points.