All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

Post subject: Isengard 1500 points
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all,

I’ve amassed a force of about 800 points for Isengard at the moment and I’ve made a plan on what my force at 1500 should look like but I’m not sure if it would actually be any good on the table as I’ve never even played a game yet.

I like to buy the models I like so I can paint them up real nice aswell as make modular terrain boards and buildings so when I find people to play with we can use them to recreate scenes from the movies. I like to make sure my armies have a theme but to still be viable and fun to play (well hopefully, I don’t know yet).

An elite Isengard Force is led by Nazgûl after the death of the other named Uruk Captains, and were commanded by Sauron and Saruman to go and find the ringbearer in the lands of Rohan where they were believed to go missing (though of course we know this was Merry and Pippin).

Here it is:

General: The Knight of Umbar

Warband 1 - 284 points
The Knight of Umbar w/Horse
2x Uruk-hai Beserker
1x Uruk-hai Warrior w/Banner
5x Uruk-hai Warrior w/Shield
4x Uruk-hai Warrior w/Pike

Warband 2 - 260 points
The Dwimmerlaik w/Horse
2x Uruk-hai Beserker
5x Uruk-hai Warrior w/Pike

Warband 3 - 260 points
The Undying w/Horse
2x Uruk-hai Beserker

Warband 4 - 192 points
Vrasku
12x Uruk-hai Warrior w/Crossbow

Warband 5 - 190 points
Uruk-hai Captain w/Heavy Armour & Shield
2x Uruk-hai Beserker

Warband 6 -
Uruk-hai Shaman w/Armour

Warband 7 -
Uruk-hai Drummer

Warband 8 -
Uruk-hai Drummer

Warband 9 -
Isengard Assault Ballista w/Flaming Ammo

Warband 10 -
Mordor Troll

1496 points - 70 units - 11 might

Last edited by Wan Shi Tong on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited warbands 7-10 for points values of models
 Post subject: Re: Isengard 1500 points
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, I just cut the points values out of the last 5 warband to be safe. Thank you for making the edits.

Now, I have to ask how familiar you are with the warbands style of competition because you've got a few set ups that would not be considered legal under the current rules. Firstly, the nazgul can not lead troops form Isengard despite both being evil armies. Each band must be composed of a hero and warriors from the same list. Isengard and Mordor are different army lists. Next, the last 4 warbands need heroes to lead them. The drummers might be heroes (can't recall of the top of my head but I know for sure that the Black Guard drummers are so it might be the same) but the ballista and troll are only warriors.

Of course if you are playing against someone who you have check this list with you can do whatever your heart desires. If you just met someone at a gaming parlor and set it on the table, however, you would run into problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
the nazgul can not lead troops form Isengard despite both being evil armies. Each band must be composed of a hero and warriors from the same list. Isengard and Mordor are different army lists.

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me I have always wondered whether that was allowed but I could never find it mentioned anywhere. I knew allies worked in contingents but I didn't know whether you could mix armies between them.

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
the last 4 warbands need heroes to lead them. The drummers might be heroes (can't recall of the top of my head but I know for sure that the Black Guard drummers are so it might be the same)

Yeah drummers are heroes, they were added in in the FAQ section as they were forgotten in the source books.

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
but the balista and troll are only warriors.

Oh wow really? I always wondered about that but I thought it would look so stupid having a troll follow round a man sized leader so I always just assumed they were independent models. Do they just count as 1 of the 12 units within a warband? And I guess I could just have the balista in Vrasku's warband so that's not a problem but how many units of the 12 does that take up?

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
Of course if you are playing against someone who you have check this list with you can do whatever your heart desires. If you just met someone at a gaming parlor and set it on the table, however, you would run into problems.

I mean too be honest I was really just hoping to play it with mates who love Lord of the Rings and want to play themed battles and not worry to much about the rules that don't affect gameplay too much or make it unbalanced like mixing up armies and certain rules depending on the scenario. I
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The troll would take up only one slot in the warbands maximum of 12 warriors and 1 hero. That is because it is only one model. The siege engine will take up one spot for the machine itself and then one spot for each of its crew. You can get a hero for the siege engine but that hero is just a engineer captain and will lead a warband that must contain the engine and its crew.

Since the drummers are heroes (unless they have the independent hero marker) then all you would need to do is just replace the Nazgul in the first three warbands with your two drummers and the shaman. Then the nazgul will not be directly leading anyone but can still be leading the force as a whole with Isengard as the allied contingent. The trouble is the siege engine which will take space in whatever warband it goes in. It will depend on the crew size though. Or just house rule it that siege engines are independent units. But since formal legality is not a big issue for you here I will say that it would effects on gameplay by doing this but they would not be very noticeable in my opinion.