All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Trading Rule
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have a suggestion. Instead of this rule about 5 trading refs. why not just check Ebay or Bartertown feedback?
I Have over 850 positives on Ebay and not a single neg.
I also have over 150 positives on Bartertown and again not a single neg.

So even though I have over 1,000 positives in online trading, I still have to wait until I have 5 Good Traders here?
I don't think so.
Common sense should apply here. I can understand new traders that have no track record at all should have some type of restrictions. But veteran traders who have proven records should not have to go through this.

I can always go to TLA and do my trades but that means that readers here may lose out on something that they wanted.

Food for thought.

Post subject: Re: New Trading Rule
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

"Veteran" traders with an already established track record could surely just ask for an exemption by contacting a mod?

Otherwise its a very sensible general rule.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Surely this can be "advised" and down to the discretion of the trader? Just like people add to the top of their trade thread "will not trade overseas" people could quite easily set their own standard "will only trade with someone with previous feedback" or "insist on receiving an item first before sending for anyone without 5+ feedback."

A degree of common sense must prevail and advising caution. Things like how long someone has been using a forum, how active and involved they are etc etc will have an influence, but also doing things like checking where the user has posted previously within the forum.

If all their posts since joining are in the trade thread, that could be a warning sign...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Honestly, I see no problem with this (primarily in non-international trading). So you have to wait a little longer, big whoop.

The reason that you can't use eBay or Barterown feedback is twofold:
1) Not everyone has eBay or Bartertown (I don't have Bartertown and I don't sell on eBay). Also, if you're on eBay, you can sell them there and use the money to buy what you want (not even necessarily mini/LotR related).
2) No proof that you ARE the person you calim to be on another website.

My only problem with the rule is - what happens when two newcomers trade?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

1) Not everyone has eBay or Bartertown (I don't have Bartertown and I don't sell on eBay). Also, if you're on eBay, you can sell them there and use the money to buy what you want (not even necessarily mini/LotR related).
2) No proof that you ARE the person you calim to be on another website.

Well, you don't have to be a memberof either group to check on someones past dealings so that arguement goes out the window.

As for number 2, chances are pretty good that if you are using the smae screenname on both sites that it is, in fact, YOU.

The first poster had a good idea to have the mod give out exemptions. Seems logical to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the piont was that they don't use these other sites ,so they have no feed back there. Also if some one is setting up dodgy trading accounts they could quiet eaisely copy a screen name
Im quiet happy to wait if I wasn't id go buy from a shop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

And this is why everyone hates scammers. Makes it unfair on everyone else who plays by the rules.

Mid Sussex Wargamers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The rule is there for your benefit guys - if you don't like it then ignore it but its no good reporting it to me if and when you get scammed. I have put this in place to protect you from the numerous scammers that have joined the site recently. I have had one guy with two accounts - he managed to succesfully scam two users out of goods with the one account and when caught out and banned tried to scam further on his second account. Luckily he was caught out and both accounts have been banned.

There are certain users that have no trade record here that I am happy to vouch for personally - Nevinsrip being one of them. I have quite a bit of comunication with the user outside of the OR and he's a good guy and a safe trader.
Like I said in the new rule thread - any problems PM me.

A good point - if 2 users wish to trade who both have feedback less than 5 - if you can't come to an agreement about who sends first then run the risk that we have always run here in trades and post at the same time - its all down to trust and until recently has been fine.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]