All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:48 pm

Post subject: another green
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

let me know what you think of it. constructive criticism would be welcomed.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Love the boots and pants. They just look really nice and natural.

Chainmail is alright, I've seen better and I have seen worse. Just looks a little funny in the areas where the arm joins to the torso. May just be the angle of the picture but errmmm... yeah.

The face is nicely done, and the hands have a nice shape about them. I think the knuckles look very good. Kind of a strange thing to say but they just do! :)

The only thing that puts me of is the helmet. I think it makes the model look quite comical, and does not really suit the rest of the sculpt. That is just my opinion though.

Regards,

KJ Necromancer

www.myspace.com/AIBmelbourne
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yes the pants and boots are quite good. i find that thart chainmail is actually quite realistic as chainmail is quite thick and not as " loose as your standard GW sculpt. i agree with the other dude the helm looks a bit odd. perhaps look at some pics of armour from yonks ago or maybe a mail helmet
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The chain mail is very good. I agree the helmet is not right, seems a little small. What bothers me the most the the pose. I specifically dislike the striking arm it's too far from his body to deliver a blow with any force. I realize that its intended to simulate a stab over the shield rim. But the only viable target for an over the shield attack would have been the face which would have required a straight forward "punch-like" movement. Now if the arm was lowered with the sword angled up wards and inwards towards the stomach you would have a more natural attack movement. You would be illustrating the killing thrust of the roman legionnaire. I hope I don't sound to negative, I like the figure, its quality work.8)

Rob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The detail on your sculpting is getting finer and finer with each new green. The proportions are anatomically correct and the facial features are excellent.

What you really need is some good quality reference material to work from that shows the body in motion and the ways in which the torso twists, the limbs are positioned, the musculature bulges and knots, as heavy weaponry is swung about.

Look at some of the recent Rebellion sculpts of Ebob and compare them to his earlier work (say the Stalag Luft III models) and you can see he has made a massive leap forward in his sculpting because now his poses are dynamic and realistic. You are ready to make that same leap now too I believe. You have learnt how to push putty around to make pretty much any shape you want, and now it's time to learn how to get it looking realistic and natural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What is he doing? I am guessing he is operating some sort of siege engine?

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!